Students in Classrooms - Secondary
Schools have found that students bring enthusiasm, energy and subject expertise to the classroom and give valuable support to teachers. Some found their participation in the scheme helped improve links with further and higher education institutions, and help contribute to raising aspiration and attainment of their pupils.
Learning Advocates support classroom learning by:
- Supporting teachers within the class, or assisting with small group learning or offering 1:1 support following the guidance of teachers
- Supporting a subject teacher / department in a secondary school based on their current area of study or further qualifications.
- Inspiring, supporting and motivating pupils to learn
This programme is delivered in school. Targeting criteria applies.
Placements are January – April for 10 weeks. Students will be in school for a full day or two half days per week.
Teacher, Windmill L.E.A.D Academy
Our Learning Advocate has been an excellent role model for our boys - who have highly engaged with him throughout the weeks
Achievement Coaches work with Key Stage 4 pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds in a series of one-to-one and in small group sessions to support their attainment. Each Achievement Coach works with the same four pupils for the duration of the programme, helping pupils to identify their own development goals and supporting them to achieve them over the course of the programme
- In one-to-one sessions Achievement Coaches design content according to the needs of the individual pupil. Using a coaching approach, Coaches reinforce learning and encourage skills that will help pupils become reflective and independent learners
- In small group sessions, all four pupils see their Coach in the same session. They collaborate to explore concepts of meta-cognition and apply this to the challenges they face in achieving their GCSE in English
This programme is delivered in school. Pupil targeting applies.
Placements are January – April for 10 weeks
Teacher, Ellis Guilford School
Students felt special in the fact that they were being given one to one support and also working in small groups. The Coach was approachable and learners felt comfortable working with them