Year 8 campus visit
The Year 8 campus visit will bring university to life, and build on your pupils’ understanding of higher education in a fun and interactive environment.
Delivered by Nottingham Trent University’s Outreach Team and our Student Ambassadors, the Year 8 campus visit will give your pupils an immersive experience at a university.
The event is designed to help pupils find out what university is all about and visualise what their education journey could look like beyond Year 8. Pupils will have the opportunity to explore the campus, take part in a university-style research project and will have opportunities to engage with NTU staff and students and ask questions. Our activities encourage pupils to develop their communication and research skills, build self-efficacy and confidence.
Tuesday 7 June – Friday 21 July 2023
10:00 - 14:00
NTU City Campus, NG1 4FQ.
NTU can reimburse 50% of your transport costs on receipt of a school invoice within two weeks of your visit.
- Schools can select up to 60, Year 8 pupils to attend
- Pupils should meet at least one of the widening participation criteria list below
- Parents/ carers will need to complete and return a signed consent form, prior to taking part in a Year 8 campus visit
- Pupils must bring their own lunch on the day
- Schools will need to arrange transport to and from NTU City Campus, as well as appropriate teacher supervision
- NTU will reimburse schools 50% towards travel costs on receipt of an invoice.
Widening participation criteria
Pupils should meet at least one of the widening participation criteria as follows:
- receives free school meals
- lives in an area with low progression to higher education (we can check pupil postcodes)
- have caring responsibilities
- are care-experienced (have been or are currently in local authority care)
- have a known disability
- or be selected from your pupil premium cohort
University visits are fully-funded by NTU. We provide this service to ensure that young people from the most disadvantaged backgrounds have the ability to access attainment-raising events such as these. However, they cost NTU on average £620 per school to run. This is covered by public funding for which we are accountable for reporting on. It is vitally important that you notify us of any reduction in pupil numbers, or if your group are unable to attend the event with at least 48 hours’ notice. We reserve the right to invoice schools for a £50 penalty for any group booking which fails to attend on the day or gives less than 48 hours’ notice of cancellation.
The day has been a fantastic opportunity for our students.
Year 8 teacher, Meden School