This is an innovative course that provides professional staff working in management and administration roles in higher education with a transformative experience to enhance their administrative, managerial and leadership capabilities.
The course provides a pathway for staff working in management and administrative roles in HE with a progressional route to support their career development. The course enables participants to develop their knowledge, skills and abilities as HE professionals, promoting excellence in management and administration in higher education.
This course aims to:
- Develop and enhance participants management and leadership knowledge through providing a stimulating and supportive learning environment.
- Enhance professional practice through critical appraisals, reflection and application of management and leadership knowledge, skills, behaviours and values.
- Develop transferable skills (including verbal and written communication, working in teams, problem identification, research, making presentations and working with data).
These courses are not only underpinned by academic rigour, but help participants to develop knowledge and skills that can be easily transferred to the workplace. Ultimately, the courses aim to develop excellent administrators who have the skills, integrity and commitment to make a positive contribution to the societies in which they live and work.
What you'll study
Building on the structure of the PG Certificate in HE Administration, Management and Leadership, the structure of the course has been designed to offer a balance of independent study, as well as working and learning with peers from other institutions on the course.
From Strategy to Practice
The aim of the module is to review the principles and practice of management in the HE context, considering the key strategic challenges and opportunities for HEIs, developing an understanding of how institutions performance is measures and monitored, and how to translate strategy into action.
The module sets the functional specialisms of HE in a wider organisational context, considering how each can contribute to the effectiveness of the institution as a whole, and developing a critical awareness of current and emerging practices in HE management.
The module gives a critical overview of business and management in higher education, including consideration of the following key areas:
- The International HE context
- Business planning and strategy
- Key strategic challenges and opportunities for HEIs
- Performance measurement and monitoring in HEIs
- Evaluating and interpreting organisational performance data
- Translating strategy into team and individual target and objective setting
- Strategy evaluation: implementation and review
Managing and Leading People and Change in HE
The module explores elements of contemporary management and leadership thinking, in relation to leading people and change in HE institutions. It offers participants the opportunity to view their role in the context of management and leadership practice and to consider relevant approaches to management and leadership challenges in HE settings.
The module gives a critical overview of management and leadership, including change and leadership in the HE context:
- Management and leadership theory and practice
- Employee motivation and engagement
- Managing and performing in teams
- Change management and leadership
The assessments are designed to test all course learning outcomes, and include written assignments and presentations.
Module 1: From Strategy to Practice
- 4500 word individual work-based report
Module 2: Managing and Leading People & Change in HE
- 4000 word report
- Group presentation (20 mins plus Q&A)
How you’re taught
The learning methods encompass short study blocks and directed independent study. Study blocks incorporate a range of teaching and learning methods such as group exercises, case studies, reflection, lectures, presentations and videos. Independent study is supported by a blend of multi-media e-learning materials with additional support from module lecturers.
You'll also use our virtual learning environment, NOW, which is a flexible web-based system that gives you 24-hour access to module learning materials and reading lists. It allows you to discuss work with tutors and submit coursework electronically from anywhere in the world.
Careers and employability
This course does not currently offer placements, but the course assignments are based on real-world issues.
Applicants must therefore be in employment, or be able to gain access to an organisation upon which to base assignments. You will need permission from the organisation to use their data during your course.
Organisations do not have to be a University, they can also be companies associated within the HE sector such as colleges, publishers, media agencies etc.
Completion of the course will prepare managers and administrators for their future roles and responsibilities in the sector.
To us, research is about more than writing papers and proposing new ideas. By daring to think differently, we’re disrupting the research landscape and finding the answers to the questions that really matter. From ethics, innovation and entrepreneurship to behavioural science, we’re inspiring the brightest minds to rise up and find solutions to some of the most significant global challenges facing society.
Find out more: ntu.ac.uk/research
NTU is 1st for number of Business and Management students taking Professional Qualifications (HESA 2019/20)
- To have satisfactorily completed the PG Certificate in HE Administration, Management and Leadership (within the last five years), in accordance with the Assessment Regulations.
- Possession of a relevant professional or academic qualification deemed to be equivalent and appropriate to at least 60 M level points.
How to apply
Ready to join us? Apply through our NTU Applicant Portal.
Make sure you check the entry requirements above carefully before you do.
Please read our notes on the University's commitment to delivering the educational services advertised.