The AUA Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education Administration, Management and Leadership (PGCert) is a work-based learning programme for higher education professionals working within UK higher education administration.
The programme deepens and tests your knowledge and understanding of the Higher Education (HE) sector whilst enhancing your skills as a reflective practitioner, incorporating the AUA values and CPD Framework of Professional Behaviours into your working life.
The programme will:
- Engage you in a process of planned professional development, based on reflection and self-assessment of your skills and competencies in professional contexts
- Develop your understanding and critical awareness of current issues in the sector, through independent learning and research
- Develop an understanding of leadership and management in the context of HE
- Enhance your professional practice through critical appraisal of, and reflection on, your knowledge, skills, behaviours and values
- Develop reflective skills enabling you to apply your knowledge and understanding to evaluate and analyse your practice and experiences.
These courses in Higher Education Administration, Management and Leadership are underpinned by academic rigour and designed to help students to develop knowledge and skills that can be easily transferred to the workplace. Ultimately, the courses aim to develop excellent administrators who have the skills, integrity and commitment to make a positive contribution to the societies in which they live and work.
If you completed the AUA Postgraduate Certificate Professional Practice in HE Management, you may be eligible to qualify for direct progression to the PG Diploma.
This course is delivered in collaboration with the Association of University Administrators (AUA).
Student story: Waheeda Dhansey
PGCert, PGDip and MSc Higher Education Administration, Management and Leadership Alumni
I was certain that undertaking this programme would benefit me enormously in further underpinning my role as a manager and leader. I believe I could influence and have an even more positive contribution in achieving success that has benefitted my team, the wider team, the School, and the University. And finally, it was also for my personal and professional satisfaction and achievement.
What you'll study
HE in Context module
The UK higher education has undergone unprecedented levels of change and diversification. The administration and management of HE has evolved and expanded to meet these challenges. HE institutions need professional services staff who command a wide range of skills and knowledge and are competent in applying their experience in a complex professional environment. The aim of the module is to give students the opportunity to analyse and evaluate their existing knowledge base pertaining to higher education, thereby developing a critical awareness of current issues in the sector. Through a series of knowledge-based assessments relevant to their role and professional practice students will integrate theory and practice exploring topics and policy that develop their understanding of leadership, governance and management and ultimately improve professional practice for the benefit of the wider context of UK HE.
The following is indicative content for the module:
* History and development of HE, with a focus on the UK
* Current and developing HE policy within the four UK nations
* Different institutional business models
* Leadership, governance and management within HE
* The context within which the sector operates
Professional Practice in HE module
The aim of this module is to allow students to analyse and evaluate their knowledge of the higher education sector; and of leadership, governance and management; and apply this to their own practice and the context in which they work. Through critical reflection on their knowledge, practice, experiences and learning, students will demonstrate their ability to apply reflective skills to improve practice and to support their continuing professional development and personal improvement.
The following is indicative content for the module:
* Understanding models and principles of reflective practice and their application
* Understanding the AUA Values and Professional Behaviours within the AUA CPD Framework
* Self-analysis of capacities against the AUA CPD Framework
* Developing as an HE professional through professional development planning and reflective practice
Modules are assessed through coursework as follows:
Module 1: Higher Education in Context
- This module allows students to look at a number of topics relating to the higher education sector. The aim of the module is to give students the opportunity to analyse and evaluate the existing knowledge base pertaining to higher education, thereby developing a critical awareness of current issues in the sector.
Module 2: Professional Practice in Higher Education
- The aim of this module is to allow students to analyse and evaluate their knowledge of the higher education sector; and of leadership, governance and management; and apply this to their own practice and the context in which they work.
- Through critical reflection on their knowledge, practice, experiences and learning, students will demonstrate their ability to apply reflective skills to improve practice and to support their continuing professional development and personal improvement.
How you’re taught
The course relies on a blend of face-to-face and online delivery. It is supported by self-directed study. All students are required to attend four study days with combined content for both modules. Study days are delivered as both face-to-face events and online delivery. They are interactive and will contain practical group discussions to provide guidance and information. The study days also maximise networking opportunities with other students on the programme.
You are supported by an assigned a mentor who is a HE professional, an AUA member and works at a UK HE institution or within the sector.
You'll also use our virtual learning environment, NOW, which is a flexible web-based system that gives you 24-hour access to module learning materials and reading lists. It allows you to discuss work with tutors and submit coursework electronically from anywhere in the world.
For more information on how the course is delivered please visit the AUA website.
Careers and employability
This course does not currently offer placements, but the course assignments are based on real-world issues.
Applicants must therefore be in employment, or be able to gain access to an organisation upon which to base assignments. You will need permission from the organisation to use their data during your course.
NTU is 1st for number of Business and Management students taking Professional Qualifications (HESA 2019/20)
You will usually:
- have at least 6 months experience of working in the HE sector in an administrative or managerial capacity; and
- be currently working within the UK or Republic of Ireland HE sector; and
- hold a UK or Republic of Ireland undergraduate degree or equivalent.
If you do not hold a first degree you may be admitted to the programme if you:
- have at least 12 months of experience of working in the HE sector in an administrative or managerial capacity; and
- are currently working within the UK or Republic of Ireland HE sector; and/or
- hold equivalent professional or other qualifications, judged on a case-by-case basis.
All applications are considered on an individual basis. Your personal statement, supporting professional reference, qualifications and experience are all taken into account.
The programme is based on the UK higher education sector and therefore only eligible for applicants who live and work in the UK or ROI. Unfortunately it is not possible for anyone outside the UK or ROI to apply.
How to apply
All applicants should apply via the AUA website.
Please read our notes on the University's commitment to delivering the educational services advertised.