The University is inclusive of all sexual orientations and gender identities and is proud to be a Stonewall Diversity Champion. We are committed to encouraging a progressive, inclusive and diverse environment for all who study here.
LGBTQ+ inclusion is embedded throughout our learning environments through policies, information, guidance, training, and support.
Nottingham Trent Students’ Union (NTSU) also has a number of LGBTQ+ networks that organise events and campaigns designed to improve the University experience for our LGBTQ+ students.
NTU Pride Society
NTU Pride is an LGBTQ+ group for students of different sexual orientations and identities and their allies, who organise events and campaigns specifically related to the LGBTQ+ community.Visit the NTSU Society page
The Sexuality Network
This is a supportive community for students who self-identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, pansexual or asexual and offers guidance and advice, events, and the opportunity to engage with other likeminded students.Visit the NTSU Network page
This community is for students who have been disadvantaged due to their gender or identification with any gender other than the sex they were assigned at birth. It offers the chance to share experiences, find support and advice, and connect with the wider NTU community.Visit the NTSU Network page
NTU has a commitment to inclusion and equality, and I contribute to that as the gay officer for Pride Soc, helping to plan social events and create new friendships between LGBT and queer students. We work hard to create a safe and welcoming space where everyone’s represented, heard and valued, and we ensure we’re available to anyone who wants to reach out to us.
Haydn Cawley, BA (Hons) Costume Design and Making
LGBTQ+ History Month
Every February, NTU celebrates the diversity of the LGBTQ+ community and their achievements throughout history in a series of events and activities, from film nights and book clubs to transgender awareness workshops and voguing masterclasses. It is also a month for championing and defending the rights of all LGBTQ+ people.
Curated & Created
There are regular cultural events in our arts programme that celebrate our local LGBTQ+ communities. From poetry evenings to inspiring talks and discussion, you'll come away feeling empowered and seen.
Support and representation
Equality and Diversity Officers represent a range of demographics from the NTU community and they are here to make sure your voice is heard.
You can also access a range of support from our Student Support Services team.
Nottingham has a vibrant LGBTQ+ history, with LGBTQ+ venues dating back as far as 1938 and annual events like Nottinghamshire Pride, regular group meetings and socials, it’s a city that celebrates and supports its LGBTQ+ communities.
Every July, Nottingham city centre comes to life and is filled with a colourful parade, street art and performances that celebrate the LGBTQ+ community across the county.
Nottingham boasts many LGBTQ+ communities and support services from peer support groups to specialist professional services including:
- Nottinghamshire LGBT+ Network offers support on sexuality and gender identity, sexual health and legal advice on an anonymous basis. They also host a range of social events and volunteering opportunities.
- LGBT+ Service Nottinghamshire offers a range of professional, specialist services for young people aged 11–25 who identify as LGBTQ+ or may be questioning their sexual orientation or gender identity.
- The Nottingham Centre for Transgender Health is an NHS clinic for people who want support with their gender.
- Gendered intelligence is a support line for trans and gender questioning people.
- Galop is the national LGBTQ+ Domestic Abuse Helpline. If you've experienced hate crime, sexual violence or domestic abuse, they're here to help you.
- Notts Trans Hub is a local hub for anyone who identifies under the full diversity of the trans umbrella, as well as allies, family, friends, carers, professionals and supporters
- QTIPOC Notts is a social and peer-led support group based in the community for LGBTQ+ people of colour in Nottingham and beyond.
- Nottingham BiTopia is a social group for bisexuals and allies in the East Midlands.