Skip to content

Dyslexia, ADHD & SpLD Support

Our Dyslexia Support team provides advice and support to students with specific learning difficulties (SpLDs), such as dyslexia, dyspraxia and ADHD.

This support enables you to develop relevant skills and strategies over the course of your time at university, and to support you in achieving your full learning potential – while you’re studying here, and throughout your future career.

Dyslexia support

We want to make sure that all our students get the most from university life. By telling us about your SpLD as early as possible, we can identify any support that you might need. Ideally, tell us about your SpLD on your UCAS application form or NTU application: you're not obliged to declare it, but if you choose not to, you may not be able to access our full range of support services.

  • What formal evidence of my SpLD will I need?

    We require evidence of your SpLD in order to put your exam adjustments or one-to-one support in place. We'll require this evidence before the start of your course. Please forward your documentation on to us, even if you're awaiting exam results.

    For dyslexia, this will be a photocopy of a full diagnostic assessment, written by a qualified assessor who holds an approved qualification and is either:

    • a specialist teacher assessor holding a current SpLD Assessment Practising Certificate (APC)
    • a practitioner psychologist, registered with the HCPC.

    Dyspraxia and ADHD may be assessed by medical professionals, in which case we will need written confirmation from them of the diagnosis, and a clear indication of the condition's impact on your studies. Please let us know if you are on a waiting list for an ADHD Diagnosis.

  • What if I do not have a formal evidence of my SpLD?

    You'll need to secure a formal diagnosis before you enrol at NTU. This enables us to coordinate your support before you've started your course. If you need any help regarding the assessment required by Student Finance for an application for the Disabled Students Allowances (DSA), please visit the SASC, Patoss Tutor or DirectGov website.

    If you require any further advice about your documentation, we recommend that you contact us. If you're a current student, please attend an advice session to discuss the evidence requirements.

  • I'm an international student with an SpLD. What evidence will I need?

    If you are an international student with an SpLD, please provide us with a copy (in English) of a full, recent, professional assessment report - and do this as soon as possible after accepting a place on your course. We can then consider any recommendations in the assessment report.

Advice sessions

We run one-to-one advice sessions across all our campuses, where students can ask a dyslexia specialist for advice, or ask questions about things like:

  • your support arrangements
  • exam arrangements
  • applying for a Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)
  • delivering support for SpLDs
  • diagnostic evidence requirements
  • what to do if you think you may have an SpLD, such as dyslexia
  • how to access generic support within NTU, e.g. library study support
  • how to implement the reasonable adjustments recommended by your evidence (e.g. extra time in exams).

Specialist one-to-one support

Specialist one-to-one support is available to students who are in receipt of Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs), though it’s important to remember that we can’t give any subject-specific guidance. We provide one-to-one support sessions that are tailored to your needs and can develop your skills in:

  • understanding your thinking and learning style
  • writing, planning, drafting, editing and proof-reading strategies
  • time management and organisation - meeting deadlines, handing in work on time, action plans, and sorting your diary
  • reading and spelling, comprehension, note-taking, reading fluency and research
  • planning, rehearsing and delivering presentations
  • prioritising your own workloads through mind-mapping
  • revision and stress management techniques for exams and assessments
  • using assistive technologies.

Specialist DSA Funded support is provided through a mix of internal support and external agency support.

If we’re unable to see you for any reason – for example, staff illness or absence – we will contact you to rearrange an appointment. DSA funding will not be claimed for sessions cancelled by the Dyslexia Support team.

Experiencing difficulties on your course?

Sometimes, the academic challenge of university can highlight difficulties that you’ve not noticed before. You may have experienced difficulties with spelling, composing assignments, or reading academic texts. However, difficulties in these areas do not necessarily mean you are dyslexic. To support your learning, there are a number of self help resources that we recommend.

If you continue to experience difficulties and want further advice, please contact our Dyslexia Support team.

Getting around


Nottingham Trent University are working with AccessAble to provide detailed access guides to the buildings, services and rooms across our campuses.

Assistance dogs

The University recognises that a dog kept and used by a disabled person (as defined by the Equality Act 2010) wholly or mainly for the purpose of assisting that person to carry out day to day activities (an “Assistance Dog”), will require access to the University’s estate, relevant buildings and University-owned student accommodation.

Assistance dogs are trained by members of Assistance Dogs (UK), or by an equivalent organisation in another country.

Assistance dogs have formal identification and are permitted to accompany their owners at all times and in all places within the United Kingdom (unless there is a genuine health and safety risk).

If you have an assistance dog, please contact us to let us know you wish to bring them on site so we can answer any questions you may have around this.


Parking at the City Campus is very limited. However, if you are a Blue Badge holder or need to bring your car to the University because of a medical condition, we may be able to provide a dedicated parking space. Parking is not guaranteed, and will be allocated on a first come first served basis. For further information, please email us.

Contact us


Telephone: +44 (0)115 848 4120

We welcome comments to improve our service. If you have feedback with any aspect of the service you receive from our team, please let us know.

Still need help?

+44 (0)115 941 8418