Skip to content

Physical, sensory and long-term medical conditions

Our Disability Support team can offer advice for both current and prospective students on the types of support available.

We can liaise with the University’s academic Schools, services and outside agencies, and help to coordinate any additional requirements you may have. We can also guide and support your applications for additional funding.

Weekly advice sessions

If you have a physical, sensory or long-term medical conditions, we offer advice sessions throughout term-time.

Our services include:

  • support with applying for the Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs)
  • Access Statements and exam arrangements
  • timetabling support
  • accessibility
  • library support.

Personal care

Going to university might mean you have to reassess your personal assistance arrangements – especially if you normally receive help with mobility and everyday tasks from family members, as this support is not provided or arranged through your Higher Education Provider.

Local Authority Social Services should provide you with the support you need. We’re unable to provide any type of personal care, including carrying equipment and accompanying students to lectures. You can choose to have direct payments to buy services that meet your assessed needs, instead of receiving services directly provided by social services.

Getting around


Nottingham Trent University are working with AccessAble to provide detailed access guides to the buildings, services and rooms across our campuses.

Assistance dogs

The University recognises that a dog kept and used by a disabled person (as defined by the Equality Act 2010) wholly or mainly for the purpose of assisting that person to carry out day to day activities (an “Assistance Dog”), will require access to the University’s estate, relevant buildings and University-owned student accommodation.

Assistance dogs are trained by members of Assistance Dogs (UK), or by an equivalent organisation in another country.

Assistance dogs have formal identification and are permitted to accompany their owners at all times and in all places within the United Kingdom (unless there is a genuine health and safety risk).

If you have an assistance dog, please contact us to let us know you wish to bring them on site so we can answer any questions you may have around this.

Disability support

Your Disability Officer

Each School has a dedicated Disability Officer, who’ll support you by liaising with your academic team

Support available

There’s a wide range of support available, including:

  • assistive technology for your studies
  • note-taking during seminars
  • BSL interpreters
  • extended loans in the library
  • alternative exam arrangements
  • accessible accommodation (see our accommodation website for more details).

Specialist DSA Funded support is provided through a mix of internal support and external agency support.

If you want to find out more, please email us.

Complex support needs

If you have complex support needs, we recommend contacting the Disability Support team as soon as possible, to discuss your personal requirements. For example, if you have a sensory impairment or mobility difficulties, it might be necessary for support to be discussed before you start university – so that the required adjustments will be in place from day one. We’ll tailor the experience to your specific needs – from campus orientation to the provision of BSL interpreters, note-takers etc.

Frequently asked questions

  • Should I visit or attend an open day?

    Yes, as this is the perfect opportunity to visit us in person and discuss your requirements. An early visit helps us to assess and accommodate your needs - and we can also support your funding application, ensuring you've got everything you need to make the most of your university experience.

    If you need any specific support for a visit to the University - for instance, information in different formats, or the services of a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter - you can email us ahead of your visit.

  • What parking is available at NTU?

    Parking at the City Campus is very limited. However, if you are a Blue Badge holder or need to bring your car to the University because of a medical condition, we may be able to provide a dedicated parking space. Parking is not guaranteed, and will be allocated on a first come first served basis. For further information, please email us.

  • In terms of accessibility, what's it like getting around campus?

    The Clifton Campus is compact and completely self-contained. It slopes gently in places, but is generally accessible. If you need to move between campuses, a low-floor accessible bus service runs between the City and Clifton campuses throughout term time.

    Brackenhurst Campus is a rural campus with walkways, but some rough tracks.

    The City Campus is on a slight slope, but again fully accessible across our key buildings and facilities.

    We would strongly recommend you visit us and your campus before starting your course. We'll be very happy to discuss your access needs.

    Please see the AccessAble website for more in-depth information regarding the accessibility of specific buildings.

  • What happens if my disability or health condition prevents me from attending university?

    We'd recommend discussing this with your Disability Officer in advance, so that we can inform your course team and ensure transparency.

    Out of courtesy, we'd also suggest informing your subject administrator that you are unable to attend on occasions.

    If you are already getting support from the Disability Support Worker Scheme (DSWS) and you cannot attend a teaching session, then you should contact the DSWS to let them know.

Contact us


Telephone: +44 (0)115 848 2085

We welcome comments to improve our service. If you have feedback with any aspect of the service you receive from our team, please let us know.

Still need help?

+44 (0)115 941 8418