Psychology, Psychiatry and Neuroscience
Psychology research is theoretically robust and makes a difference to individual lives and society across the full spectrum of human psychology.
The following Impact Case Studies are linked to this UoA:
- Psychosocial Impact of Gaming
- The Impact of Digital Technologies on Learning and Behaviour
- Sexual Offences, Crime and Misconduct
Our work sits under two of the University's institution-wide research themes and is underpinned by five research groups.
Theme: Health and Wellbeing
- Addiction and Aberrant Behaviours: This group has two identifiable units - the International Gaming Research Unit (IGRU) and the Sexual Offences, Crime and Misconduct Research Unit (SOCAMRU).
- Wellbeing: Covers wide-ranging work from the study of psychosis and other mental disorders through health and wellbeing in the workplace.
Theme: Cognition, Perception and Communication
- Cognition and Perception: Explores the relationship between memory, perception and physical parameters of the environment, applying their findings into everyday situations.
- Language and Psycholinguistics: Examines language acquisition and development using both traditional field experiments and computational modelling of language.
- Development, Interaction and Social Relations: The research activities of this group cover aspects of the development of interpersonal relationships and communication from early childhood through to late adulthood using a variety of observational and experimental techniques.