Dr Lia Blaj-Ward is responsible for:
- coordinating in-sessional English for Academic Purposes (EAP) provision School of Art and Design and the School of Architecture, Design and the Built Environment
- teaching a range of EAP classes and providing one-to-one academic literacy support
- teaching on the Course Design and Assessment module on the MA ELT and supervising dissertations
- supervising research at doctoral level.
Dr Blaj-Ward is currently researching strategies and models of quality assurance and enhancement of EAP provision and of higher education delivered through the medium of English to non-native speakers of this language. In parallel to this, drawing on her experience of completing a PhD on research training programmes for doctoral students, she is engaged in facilitating researcher development in the EAP field (e.g Snapshots of EAP Research).
Opportunities to carry out research towards an MPhil/PhD exist and Dr Blaj-Ward is interested in supervising projects on:
- Educational management and staff development in English for Academic Purposes/English-medium instruction settings
- Development and evaluation of academic literacy provision in further and higher education contexts
- Learner perspectives on and engagement with EAP/EMI provision.
Further information may be obtained from the NTU Graduate School.
Between 2011 and 2014, Dr Blaj-Ward held the role of Research Officer on the Executive Committee for BALEAP: The Global Forum for EAP Professionals. As a member of the BALEAP Research and Publications Sub committee she contributed to setting up a series of research training events (ResTES) and BALEAP's annual award for Masters dissertations in English for Academic Purposes. Dr Blaj-Ward is also an assessor for BALEAP’s EAP course accreditation scheme. Currently BALEAP Treasurer, she is using her data management and reporting skills to support the financial management of projects for the benefit of the organisation’s membership and of the wider EAP professional community.
Researching Contexts, Practices and Pedagogies in English for Academic Purposes. Blaj-Ward L, 2014, Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan
From language learner to language user in English-medium higher education: language development brokers outside the language classroom. Blaj-Ward, L, 2017. Journal of Research in International Education.See all of Lia Blaj-Ward's publications...