Applying for an apprenticeship through NTU
How to apply
Our apprenticeship courses can be applied for directly through our applicant portal.
Please note that you need to be holding an apprenticeship job role or offer to be considered.
Applications for undergraduate and postgraduate apprenticeship courses can be submitted at any time.
However, courses are closed for applications at least two weeks prior to the start date of the course. Please check for closing dates on the relevant course page. Early applications are encouraged.
Costs, funding and student discount
Cost of an apprenticeship
Apprentices do not pay tuition fees as these are met by the government and / or their employer.
As you do not pay tuition fees you are not eligible for student loans.
You are classed as an employee rather than a student in terms of Student Finance England.
Apprentices aged 16 - 19 in the first year of their apprenticeship receive at least the minimum apprenticeship wage.
Some employers pay significantly more than this. It is important that the apprentice confirms any salary with the employer.
The Education Skills Funding Agency (EFSA) have specific funding eligibility criteria. The apprentice must:
- be at least 16 years old
- meet the qualification criteria required to study the course
- have the right to work in England
- be based at a workplace in England (at least 50% of the time)
- be holding an offer from an apprenticeship employer
- able to provide evidence of GCSE Maths and English
- able to provide evidence of Functional Skills Level 2
- prepared to complete an equivalent online assessment.
Apprentices are eligible for an NUS Apprentices Extra card.
For an annual fee, apprentices can enjoy several discounts:
- in shops
- for various services
- in restaurants around the country.
For further information visit the NUS Extra website.