How to Write a Stand-out Personal Statement
This is your chance to tell us about your ambitions, skills and experience, and no one can do that better than you. You have a 4,000 character limit to tell us your story in – here’s how to make your words count.
What is a personal statement?
A personal statement is exactly that - a statement that sells yourself as a good candidate for the course and the university that you're applying to. Your personal statement is submitted alongside your university application and should explain why you are applying for your specific course and what would make you a brilliant addition to the university community.
Now is the time to be confident. You'll have approximately 500 words to tell us what's unique about you and your background, and to showcase any skills and experience that are relevant to your application. We're looking for well-written personal statements full of passion, uniqueness, and honesty.
Once you’ve done your research and written your notes, you should know what makes you a strong candidate. Now you can start your personal statement!
Make sure that:
- your personal statement is well structured, convincing and easy to understand. Whatever course you do at university, you'll be required to write essays. By showing that you can communicate well in writing, you’ll make a good impression.
- you order your statement based on the requirements of the course you’re interested in. For example, if it’s beneficial to demonstrate organisational skills or an interest in fashion, put your examples of these at the top of the page.
Six tips for writing your personal statement
- Give yourself time to write it properly
- Write in a formal style
- Don’t copy. Avoid clichés. Keep your statement unique. Be honest, thorough and persuasive
- Believe in yourself – write in a natural and positive way and showcase all your skills and experience
- Check that your spelling and grammar is correct – ask someone you trust to read it too
- Remember, universities can only make a decision based on the information you give them.
Watch our personal statement Q&A
Find out more about what a UCAS personal statement is, why it's important to your university application and how to write one that stands out.
The best personal statements are those that give our Admissions team an idea of who you are, why you want to study your course of interest, and what you’d ideally like to go on to do after university. Give us an outline of what motivates you to study and why.
Laura, NTU Admissions team
Preparing for your NTU Interview
Everything you need to know if you’re invited to an interview after you’ve applied to NTU – how to prepare, what to expect on the day, and what happens next.
How to Make a University Portfolio
Applying for an Art & Design degree course? Get some top tips for your digital portfolio.
Open Days and Events
Our open days and events are the perfect way to see for yourself what makes life and learning at NTU so special. We can't wait to meet you.