Where is Nottingham?
Nottingham is in the middle of the country - you can get to either London or Manchester in just two hours. With excellent transport links, travelling in and around the city or to other parts of the UK is easy, fast and convenient.
What this means, of course, is that Nottingham Trent University (NTU) is in the perfect spot for exploring the rest of the country and beyond. More specifically:
- Birmingham and Sheffield are a mere hour away
- you can get to either London or Manchester in just two hours
- East Midlands Airport – just 15 miles from Nottingham city centre – offers flights to loads of European cities, opening up a whole continent for you to explore
- the beautiful and historic Peak District – one of the biggest and most popular national parks in England – is right on our doorstep. This stunning countryside lies just an hour’s travel to the west of Nottingham
- the coast is just two hours away to the east.
As the capital of the East Midlands, Nottingham has all the culture, nightlife, shopping, music, sports and attractions you would expect, making it the perfect home from home.
Nottingham isn’t very far from the north of England, but then again it’s pretty close to the south, too. It’s right in the middle of the country, in fact – neither ‘up north’ nor ‘down south’– the city’s excellent transport links mean you can easily get to where you need to go. You could say it’s the perfect place to study – far enough away from home that your parents don’t pop in unannounced but not too far away that you can’t take your washing home when you want to!
What’s the weather like in Nottingham?
British weather is famously unpredictable, but we rarely have extremes of temperature. Summers and winters are normally relatively mild – December temperatures average 5°C, July averages 18°C – but we do get a lot of rain!
You should bring a good mix of clothing with you, including jumpers, T-shirts, jeans, a warm winter coat, gloves, a scarf and a raincoat. Don't worry, though. Nottingham is a major shopping destination, so you’ll be able to pick up everything you need in the city.
Travelling around Nottingham
Nottingham has an excellent bus and tram network with a range of travel deals and discounts for students. Our Travelling around Nottingham page has more information on getting from A to B whilst at university.