Green Academy Annual Report
The Green Academy works to engage students and staff with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) here at Nottingham Trent University. As a signatory of the SDG Accord, the University is committed to fulfilling the global goals.
The Green Academy has embedded Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) into curricular and extra-curricular activities since 2013 and is regarded as a sector leader in this field. In 2019-2020, our then Lead Professor Petra Molthan-Hill was invited to join the QAA- Advance HE advisory group updating the ESD guidance for the higher education (HE) sector. Based on our internationally successful UN PRME Champions Project ‘Carbon Literacy Training for Business Schools’, Professor Molthan-Hill and NTU’s Green Academy was also selected to design one of the two Carbon Literacy Tool Kits for the HE Sector funded by BEIS and the GMCA.
Furthermore, we have shared best practice across the sector with our recent publications:
Molthan-Hill, P., Luna, H., Wall, T., Puntha, H. And Baden, D. (2020) Storytelling for sustainability in higher education : an educator's handbook
Odell V., Molthan-Hill P., Martin S., Sterling S., (2019) Transformative Education to Address All Sustainable Development Goals
Dharmasasmita A., Molthan-Hill P., Smith R., Valero-Silva N. (2020) Leadership Competencies for a Future-Oriented Leader
Professor Molthan-Hill was also Section Editor for the Encyclopedia of Sustainability in Higher Education (Students and stakeholders´ initiatives and involvement) and Section Editor for the Encyclopedia of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG 4: Quality Education).
NTU and NTSU are currently doing an incredible job to further improve the awareness and engagement, of both students and staff, of sustainability and the Sustainable Development Goals. The work we have seen shows that the university continues to be a leading institution in terms of sustainability.
Student Auditor 2018
Dissemination and awards
- NTU Green Academy contributed to internal University events such as the Course Leader Conference and the Annual Learning and Teaching Conference. The team also contributed to a session at the annual EAUC conference.
- NTU hosted a sector-wide Climate Change Emergency event in July 2019 organized by NTU’s Green Academy. Bringing together university, research, and student union representatives from across the UK, it discussed how the Higher Education sector can respond to the climate emergency.
- NTU's Green Academy published several book chapters and Professor Petra Molthan-Hill was Associate Editor of the Encyclopedia of Sustainability in Higher Education.
- Professor Petra Molthan-Hill was recognised as a Fellow of the EAUC (Environmental Association for Universities and Colleges).
- The Sustainable Development Goals Visual Displays Project developed by Vanessa Odell from NTU’s Green Academy was shortlisted for the Green Gown Awards 2018.
- NTU was awarded a first-class award in the People & Planet University League in July 2019.
MOLTHAN-HILL, P., ERLANDSSON, L., NDLOVU, T., PATTON, I. and GOODWIN, F., 2019. Global alliance of tertiary education and sustainable development. In: W. LEAL FILHO, ed., Encyclopedia of sustainability in higher education. Cham: Springer. ISBN 9783319639512
MOLTHAN-HILL, P., WORSFOLD, N., NAGY, G.J., LEAL FILHO, W. and MIFSUD, M., 2019. Climate change education for universities: a conceptual framework from an international study. Journal of Cleaner Production, 226, pp. 1092-1101. ISSN 0959-6526
ODELL, V., MOLTHAN-HILL, P., ERLANDSSON, L. and SEXTON, E., 2019. Visual displays of the sustainable development goals in the curricular and extra-curricular activities at Nottingham Trent University - a case study. In: W. LEAL FILHO, A. LANGE SALVIA, R.W. PRETORIUS, L. LONDERO BRANDLI, E. MANOLAS, F. ALVES, U. AZEITEIRO, J. ROGERS, C. SHIEL and A. DO PACO, eds., Universities as living labs for sustainable development: supporting the implementation of the sustainable development goals. World sustainability series . Cham, Switzerland: Springer, pp. 227-246. ISBN 9783030156039
ERLANDSSON, L., MOLTHAN-HILL, P., SMITH, A. and ARNTSEN, A., 2018. Combating global warming through the estate and curriculum - a whole-institution commitment at Nottingham Trent University. In: U.M. AZEITEIRO, ed., Higher education institutions in a global warming world: the transition of higher education institutions to a low carbon economy. River Publishers series in management sciences and engineering . Aalborg: River Publishers. ISBN 9788793609204
WILLATS, J., ERLANDSSON, L., MOLTHAN-HILL, P., DHARMASASMITA, A. and SIMMONS, E., 2018. A university wide approach to integrating the sustainable development goals in the curriculum – a case study from the Nottingham Trent University Green Academy. In: W. LEAL FILHO, ed., Implementing sustainability in the curriculum of universities: approaches, methods and projects. World sustainability . Berlin: Springer, pp. 63-78. ISBN 9783319702803