Benefits of the Programme
Discover the opportunities and benefits of joining the NTU Graduate Development Programme.
On top of an exciting job role and a competitive salary, you’ll have access to a range of opportunities to develop as a professional. The development programme enables graduates to gain the invaluable work experience and key skills needed to progress on any career path.
Gain key workplace skills
- workplace manners
- being confident
- healthy conflict
- working with others
- presenting yourself as a brand
- positive working mindset
- and much more.
We took part in monthly workshops that were taken by various professionals within the University and these were honestly so eye-opening. The first one I went to was all about how different people’s backgrounds give them a different perspective on life […] I didn’t expect to, but I used this skill and tons of others from the workshops every single day in my work, and it made everything way easier.
Mike Wilkerson, Graduate Video Assistant
Explore a new career path
Be inspired by your industry mentor
- define your career goals
- gain insight into your chosen profession
- build up a valuable network of contacts
- develop interview and CV skills.
Working at NTU
You’ve lived in Nottingham as a student – now it’s time to experience it as a professional.
Find out what makes NTU a great place to work and join a community of over 4,000 staff, all committed to our goal of becoming the University of the Future.
Explore the possibilities
The GDP provides the perfect environment for personal growth while having an impact on people’s lives, being part of real change, and innovating and delivering service excellence.
We are dedicated to giving you the opportunities to develop and explore what you’re capable of. If your ideas are big and bold and have the potential to make an impact, then we’ll back you all the way. We empower great ideas and we want you to work with us to make them happen.
It was always going to be nerve-wracking coming into a new job, but being in an environment like this where there are others in the same boat made it so much easier. Straight away we were finding similarities that have since laid the foundation for the community of friends that we have now. Now I have a support network at the university that I never imagined I would have.
Alistair Taylor, Graduate Project Coordinator (HR)
Join a community of graduates
NTU has cultivated a community like no other, making it a supportive, challenging and engaging place to work.
The Graduate Development Programme is no different: it's filled with like-minded individuals who are looking to take their first step on the career ladder.
The sense of community and the friendships born from it are often described as one of the best things about the programme.
Help shape the future of NTU
A platform for change
We are a highly inclusive and collaborative organisation, seeking diversity of people and diversity in thinking. We want people to fully and actively contribute and collaborate across the whole organisation.
Our four colleague networks - Women’s Network, Race, Ethnicity and Cultural Heritage (REACH) Network, LGBT+ Network, and Disabled Employees Network (DEN) - provide an empowered network of voices that make a significant contribution to our work and culture.
Working at NTU and within the Higher Education sector provides lots of unique staff benefits, including:
- Discounts: staff can apply for a TOTUM (formerly NUS) card. This means you continue using all the student discounts you've grown accustomed to.
- Holidays: graduates are entitled to 23 days of paid holiday, on top of any additional University closure days and statutory bank holidays.
- Flexible working: NTU is committed to supporting colleague work-life balance and offers a range of practices to help balance work responsibilities with personal interests and needs.
- Pension: graduates on the GDP can apply for the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS), which is open to all Professional Services and Support staff members.
- Professional training: we are dedicated to enhancing professional practice and offering development opportunities to ensure all staff have what they need to perform well.
- Health and wellbeing: NTU prioritises the health and wellbeing of colleagues. We have on-hand Occupational Health Advisors, as well as free and confidential services including health surveillance programmes, counselling, physiotherapy, and a variety of health screening activities.
- Sports facilities: our gym membership, sports facilities, and activities at both City and Clifton Campuses are available to colleagues and their families.
See a full list of staff benefits on our jobs site.
A Disability Confident employer
NTU is a Disability Confident employer, meaning we:
- challenge attitudes towards disability
- increase understanding of disability
- remove barriers to disabled people and those with long-term health conditions
- ensure that disabled people have the opportunities to fulfil their potential and realise their aspirations.
Disability Confident Employers are recognised as going the extra mile to make sure disabled people get a fair chance.