Skip to content

Managing your money

Read our advice on budgeting as a student here in the UK, and get some information on the laws around working here, as well as details on where you can get further support with your finances at NTU.

Managing your money

Managing your money

As a student at NTU, it is important you budget properly. It isn’t just your fees you will need to pay. You will have daily, weekly and monthly expenses too. This will include things like food, accommodation, entertainment and bills.

We have put together some useful advice for budgeting on the student hub.

You may find that the costs of goods and services in the UK is quite different to your own country.

How much things will cost can take some getting used to. When you arrive, the International Student Support Service can provide guidance on where to shop for food and household items.

These tables give you an idea how much these essentials and useful items will cost here.

One off costs (you only pay once)


Approximate cost

Bedding (duvet, pillows, sheets, pillowcases)


Kitchen equipment (plates, cutlery, pans)


Insurance for personal belongings (in private accommodation)

£150 per year

Television licence

£147 per year


from £300


from £100

Membership of a student society

£1 to £10

Gym membership (at University gym)

£80 to £110 per year (off-peak / peak)

Weekly costs


Approximate cost (per week)

University residences (standard room)

from £83 to £163 with some bills included (average cost is £100)

Private shared house or flat for four people

from £70 to £100 (bills not included)

Private house or flat for two people or fewer

from £65 to £120 (bills not included)

Private hall of residence

from £90 to £170 (bills usually included)

Grocery shopping

£30 to £50

Electricity, gas and water bills

£15 to £20

Mobile phone

from £5

Broadband connection in private accommodation

from £15 per month

Course costs (e.g books, materials and stationary)


Travel (within Nottingham)


Social activities

from £15


ExpenseApproximate cost

Winter coat

from £45

Winter shoes

from £30


from £15


from £20


from £5


from £5

International student support team

Working in the UK

You may be interested in working in the UK while you study here. This can be a great way to get some extra work experience, or just to earn some extra income.

Before you start looking for a job, you will need to check if you are allowed to work here, how many hours you can work each week and what type of work you are allowed to do.

You can find information about working in the UK on the student hub.

The International Student Support Service can answer questions about your entitlement to work in the UK.

Finding a job

If you are eligible to work in the UK, our employability team provide resources, which can help with your search for part-time and casual work.

You can find advice on looking for a job on their website.

Support with your finances

If you run in to difficulty, you should not ignore the problem. This will only make things worse.

Our student financial support team can help you to manage your money and can talk through any financial concerns you may have. Don’t be afraid of speaking to them. Call them on +44 (0)115 848 2494 or email the team.

Still need help?

International Student Support Services
+44 (0)115 848 2631