Research at the School of Architecture, Design and the Built Environment
Choose a research degree at our School of Architecture, Design and the Built Environment, and you'll have access to industry-standard facilities and workshops. With a strong international reputation, our world-class research seeks innovative solutions to real-life problems with direct relevance to the needs of society, industry and commerce across the globe. We hope you can be a part of it!
Expert-led, industry-focused research with a global impact
Our courses are industry-focused, combining theory, expert insights and 'live project' experience, as well as professional accreditation. With key themes such as internationalisation, global citizenship and sustainability included, they utililse our extensive resources and expertise across the entire sector.
An outward-looking culture
With excellent links to industry, our academics are experts in their fields. Many are cited in international publications and journals for their world-class research. For instance:
- advising on architectural heritage management and design for the future
- analysing global real estate markets
- testing and integrating onsite visualisation techniques into Building Information Model (BIM) for construction projects
- finding new solutions to renewable energy use and sustainable consumption
- engaging in lean project management
- working with surgeons, clinicians and healthcare companies across the world on developing advanced medical products.
Our industry-standard facilities and workshops are equipped with the latest technology and software.
- structural testing
- extensive laboratories in concrete, soils, materials and hydraulics.
We have a Creative and Virtual Technologies Lab equipped with cutting-edge facilities including:
- visualisation technologies (augmented reality, virtual reality)
- human computer interaction systems
- BIM / 3D modelling / rendering software
- various 3D printers
- model making workshops
- a Heliodon demonstrating the movement of the sun.
Architecture and Built Environment research:
Product design research:
Impact case studies
Directly relevant to the needs and developments of society, industry and commerce across the globe, our work is supported by income from a range of bodies. These include the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), the EU, and other national charities and public service agencies in the East Midlands and beyond.
For information and how to apply for a PhD, please see the Research degrees in Architecture, Design and the Built Environment pages.
For information on funding and studentships, please view the Studentships page.