At Nottingham Trent University, we provide a supportive environment and a thriving research culture to help, you, our students, reach their potential. As a current research student, we want to offer you all the tools and resources you need to thrive in your chosen field.
Our current research students
We understand that life as a research student can be demanding on your time, so we have a number of measures in place to try and make that journey as smooth as possible.
Doctoral School Online Progression and Monitoring app
View, manage, and monitor your own progress as a student with our dedicated Progression and Monitoring app.
This online tool allows you to carry out various tasks and requests, including:
- Annual and interim monitoring of the progress of your studies
- MPhil/PhD project approval applications
- MPhil to PhD transfer applications
- Extension, suspension and withdrawal applications
- Supervisory Team changes
- Change of study mode applications.
The app provides you with greater transparency of your student journey, allowing you to check the status of your requests in real time.
It also enables increased awareness of key deadlines and easier monitoring of various tasks during your studies.
You can log in to the system using your NTU username and password.
User guides and frequently asked questions are also available below.
If you require any further help with the system, or to report a problem or seek assistance, please submit a request to the Doctoral School.
NTU Doctorate Plus Programme
All MPhil / PhD research students at NTU are expected to participate in a rolling programme of professional development activities – our NTU Doctorate Plus Programme (DPP). Some of these activities are face-to-face courses, but others are delivered online so that you can study these at a time and place that suits you.
The DPP empowers you to create an individualised, bespoke package of activities to support you through the three key stages of your PhD: project approval, transfer to PhD registration (from MPhil), and preparing for the submission of your thesis and your viva examination.
Some activities within the DPP are essential for you to engage with due to your research topic, and may be expected of you by your funding body or by your supervisors, but other activities may simply be of interest to you as you map out your future careers. Since our interests naturally change as we develop as individuals and as researchers, this programme enables you to be inquisitive about your professional development.
The wide range of workshops and activities accessible within the RDP have been mapped to the Vitae Researcher Development Framework.
Our research is governed by regulations which guarantee the quality and level of support provided to students. These regulations cover areas such as:
- the application and approval process
- supervision and monitoring of research projects
- submission of theses
- appeals and complaints procedures.
- Code of Practice for Research Degrees at Nottingham Trent University
- NTU Postgraduate Research Environment Statement - This document sets out what the research student can expect of the postgraduate research environment at Nottingham Trent University.
- The University Research Degrees Committee Terms of reference and membership can be located in Section 1 of the Quality Handbook.
- University Regulations for Research Degrees
Policies and forms
- Information on the appointment of Director of Studies, lead supervisors and Supervisors can be located in Section 11 of the Quality Handbook.
- Supervision Record Policy - Postgraduate Research Student Supervision Record Form
- Further information on the appointment of external examiners for Phase One of Professional Doctorate Courses can be located in Section 9 of the Quality Handbook.
- Procedure for Investigating Alleged Research Misconduct
- Guidance on the format of the thesis can be located in The University Research Degrees Committee Terms of reference and membership can be located in Section 11A of the Quality Handbook.
- Postgraduate Policy for Pregnancy and Maternity, Paternity and Adoption Leave.
- Postgraduate Policy for Sick Leave
- PGR Student Pregnancy Planning Form
- Risk Assessment for Pregnant PGRs
- Guidance on the joint, multiple and dual award MPhil PhD can be located in Section SB17 and SB18 of the Quality Handbook. You can see the full handbook here.
Further regulations and policies can be found on the following websites
Current research students and supervisors
The current handbooks for PhD/MPhil students and Professional Doctorate Students can be found on the relevant Learning Room in NOW.
Additional research degree forms
You can download the following forms:
- HD1R (Registration for the award of a Higher Doctorate)
- RD6E (Exam arrangements)
- RD7DEC (Candidates declaration)
- RD8PR (Prelim report)
- RD9REX (Recommendations)
- RD10G (Guidance to candidate)
- Viva voce examinations: checklist for the independent chair
- Postgraduate research student supervision record form
- Criteria for external examiners
- PGR Notification of Extenuating Circumstances self-certification form
- PGR Notification of Extenuating Circumstances form
Please note that the NTU Nottingham Doctorate School interview records form is not included in the list of online forms.
Supervision and support
Throughout your degree you are supported by a dedicated supervisory team.
This usually consists of a Director of Studies (the person with the greatest expertise of the project) and a second supervisor. If you are collaborating with a company or institution you may also have a third supervisor.
Projects can be inter-disciplinary and draw on knowledge from two or more Schools. You are encouraged to discuss any issues with your Postgraduate Research Tutor or Professional Doctorate Course Leader and your Research Student Representative or Professional Doctorate Course Representative.
Our Doctoral School Administration Team are your first point of contact during your research degree and are here to assist you throughout your period of study.
As a research student you have access to a wealth of our services, including: