Visa information

Applying for a visa to study in the UK can take time and can even seem a bit scary! So, we’ve put together all the information you need to make a successful application – from outside the UK – on this page. Remember we’re here to help every step of the way.

1. Make your offer ‘unconditional’

It’s really important to meet the conditions of your offer as soon as you can so we can make it ‘unconditional’. This means you have a confirmed place here.

We can’t confirm your place or give you a Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) statement until you’ve met all your conditions.

Here's what you need to do:

When you’ve done all of this, we’ll make your offer unconditional and send your CAS statement to you by email.

Chinese student using computer

2. Prepare your financial evidence

You’ll need to show that you have enough money to study in the UK.

First, your course fees.

You need to show that you have enough money to pay the rest of your fees for the first year of your course. If you're studying a pre-sessional English (PEAP) course, you’ll be asked to pay for the full course fees before we can issue your CAS.

We’ll write the amount that you’ve paid clearly on your CAS statement so you know how much you still need to pay.

Next, your living costs.

You'll need to show that you have £1,015 available each month for up to 9 months.

For example, if you’re studying a 3 year bachelor’s degree, you'll need to show £9,135 (£1,015 x 9 months) for living costs. If you’re studying a 6 week PEAP course, you'll need to show £2,030 (£1,015 x 2 months) for living costs.

You can deduct any payments you’ve made towards University accommodation from your living costs - up to a maximum of £1,265. Payments towards private accommodation cannot be deducted.

Please note that you cannot include accommodation booking fees as part of 'accommodation fees paid' section of your CAS statement because booking fees are not considered to be part of the accommodation fee.

So, if you’ve already made a payment towards University accommodation please let us know by emailing us and we’ll write this on your CAS statement.

You must save the money for your fees and living costs in a bank account in your name – or your parents’ name – for at least 28 days before you apply for your visa.

You must also provide evidence that you have done this by showing bank statements or other forms of financial evidence - with translations if necessary.

Here’s an example for the financial evidence. Let’s say your course fee is £12,000 and you’ve paid £3,000 in advance. For living costs you'll need to show £9,135 (£1,015 x 9 months) but let’s say you’ve also paid £500 towards your University accommodation already. So, for this example, the amount you'll need to show in your bank account is £17,635 (because £9,000 + £9,135 - £500 = £17,635).

International students in classroom

3. Other requirements

You’ll need to check that you have all the documents listed under the 'evidence used to obtain offer' section of your CAS statement, for example qualification transcripts.

Make sure you have the originals of these documents, not copies.

If any of your documents are not in English you must include a professional translation with the original document.

If you’re doing a research course you may need an ATAS certificate - we’ll let you know if you need to provide this.

You may need to take a tuberculosis (TB) test before you apply.

If you are unsure about your documents (what you need to provide or if they are suitable), please contact us.

4. Check your Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) statement

We’ll email your Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) statement approximately 12-14 weeks before your course starts so please check your email regularly.

When you get your CAS check it very, very carefully.

If you notice an error on your CAS please email us immediately so we can correct it for you.

Nottingham Trent University student in graduation gown

5. Apply for your visa

Completing the application form and submitting your documents

First, check the visa processing times in your country.

You’ll need to complete an online application form. If you have any questions or need support contact us for application advice.

It’s really important to check your application very carefully, several times. If there are any mistakes, it may be rejected.

Making an appointment

Then, you'll need to book an appointment at your local visa office to provide all your documents and financial evidence.

You may also need to do a short credibility interview lasting about 5 minutes. You’ll be asked questions about your course, your reasons for choosing it and any future plans, where you’ll be studying and living and how you’re paying for your studies.

Application costs

You’ll need to pay a visa application fee of £335.

You'll also need to pay a health immigration charge (£150 per year your visa will be valid for, plus £75 per part year).

Biometric Residence Permit

If your visa is successful you’ll receive a temporary vignette in your passport and a letter with instructions on what to do next.

As part of the application process you’ll be asked to choose where to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). You'll need to collect this within 10 days of your arrival in the UK.

We advise you to collect your BRP from the NTU City Campus as you’ll need your it to enrol at the University.

A BRP is a plastic card with your photo, personal details and visa information.

Video Icon
Applying for a visa to study in the UK

Applying for a visa video

This video follows the journey of two students as they apply for their UK visa in India.

The visa process is very different in each country - this video may give you a general idea of what to expect.

Visa information

Published on 11 July 2017

Still need help?

International Development Office
+44 (0)115 848 8175