We are currently in the process of reviewing and revising the ways in which we design and develop courses at NTU. A key aim of the course lifecycle project is to increase the focus on innovation in course design. You can find out more about this project here.
There are several stages in designing a course to meet NTU standards. CADQ takes an enhancement-led approach to quality to continually improve NTU’s offer and the learning experiences of students.
Each of the stages in our current process are detailed below:
Gaining Business Sign Off
In this section, you will find templates and guidance for gaining approval before commencing the development and approval process for your new or modified course.
If you have any questions, please email NTU business or contact your CADQ School Liaison Officer.
Refreshing the Curriculum
Via the Curriculum Refresh Project, all NTU courses reviewed their alignment to the Strategic Plan as part of the Periodic Course Review Process.
All New courses are expected to follow this framework. On this page, you will find information about how this process works, and links to ideas and resources to support this activity.
Academic Development and Approval
In this section, you will find information on policy, guidance, forms and aspects of course design.
- See a flowchart of the course design process.
This section contains specifications, exemplars and templates (some with guidance) for development and approval of courses and modules.
- Course specification template
- Course specification fields (with guidance)
- Module specification template
- Module specification guide for completion
- Subject specification template
- Placement award specification
- Course operational document
- Subject specialist commentary
- Apprenticeships course specification (with guidance)
- Apprenticeships module specification (with guidance)
- Apprenticeships course operational document (with guidance)
- Apprenticeships course operational document
- Apprenticeships assessment diet template
- Apprenticeships curriculum mapping template
This section provides direct links to the Quality Handbook sections relating to course design, along with key supplements.
This section provides links to further supplements and plans relating to the academic development and approval process.
- QH Supplement 3B: Guidance on Professional Certificates and Professional Diplomas
- QH Supplement 5B: Requirements for approving changes to courses
- QH Supplement 5C: Requirements for the rationale document for a new course
- QH Supplement 5J: Guidance on assessment regulations when there are PSRB constraints
- PSRB Register
- QAA subject benchmarks