Developing new products and services
We can provide you with the skills, expertise and technology to help your business develop new products and services, from start to finish.
Our business experts will advise you on a strategy to help you with your new product or service, and provide access to a range of services, including
- brand development
- prototype development
- product testing
- access to academic expertise
- funding advice
- IP protection.
Access to expert knowledge and facilities
Our Innovation Hubs help SMEs by providing expertise and services to support new ideas and innovation.
Computer science and data innovation
The Computer Science Innovation hub supports SMEs by delivering expert workshops, academic knowledge, and collaborative projects with businesses in areas such as mobile development, big data, cloud computing, the Internet of things, systems analysis, sensing and smart technologies, infrastructure security, and digital media.
Computing and Data Innovation services include:
- virtual, augmented and mixed reality
- big data and analysis
- digital security
- cloud computing
- Internet of things
- software development
- prototyping for a range of platforms.
Clifton Campus, NTU
Email: Jason Roper
Tel: +44 115 84 83158
Materials and engineering
SMEs can access a broad base of knowledge and equipment, giving you access to industrial imaging, materials analysis, process automation and a broad range of industry facilities.
Materials and Engineering Innovation services include:
- nuclear magnetic resonance
- materials imaging and sensing
- surface modification and analysis
- computational materials physics and modelling
- laser processing of materials
- thin film deposition
- materials and devices exploiting interfacial sciences
Clifton Campus, NTU
Email: Thomas Sanders
Tel: +4115 848 3944
Product design and process innovation
Our facilities for SMEs offers access to emerging technologies such as additive manufacturing, allied with the complementary technologies of 3D CAD modelling, 3D visualisation, 3D scanning, reverse engineering, and computational modelling and analysis. We can also assist companies seeking to explore virtual and augmented reality technologies and integrate them into their business practices.
Our expert-led team can provide your business the following support:
- academically guided projects
- access to experienced design and process innovation advisers
- state-of-the art equipment including laser cutters, CNC machines, 3D printers and 3D scanners
- expert-led workshops and networking events
- student-led consultancy work.
City Campus, NTU
Tel: +44 (0)115 848 8655
Food and drink innovation
Our range of analytical and food processing facilities allow our team of food scientists to offer the following services:
- shelf-life testing
- compositional and nutritional analysis
- sensory testing
- product development innovation advice
- guidance on labelling and the application of technologies
- access to our development kitchen and biology and chemistry labs
- product test runs in our pilot factory plant.
- FARAS (Food Authenticity Research and Services)
Brackenhurst Campus, NTU
Email: Adam Keenan
Tel: +44 115 84 88655
Legal advice for innovation
Nottingham Law School (NLS) Legal Advice Centre (LAC) offer assistance on a range of business issues, including:
- contractual terms and conditions
- intellectual property
- web policies
- commercial property
- company set-up and governance
- data protection – GDPR
- employment law
- reasonable adjustments in the workplace.
City Campus, NTU
Email: Legal Advice Centre
Tel: +44 115 848 4262
Supporting OFFUNDO Ltd
OFFUNDO Limited approached NTU looking for help to develop their innovative butter spreading product for the commercial market. NTU helped the company transform their product from stainless steel to plastic.
After remodelling 2-part stainless steel product to suit plastic production, a 3D printed prototype was made. The plastic parts are lighter in weight, dishwasher-proof and food-safe whilst retaining their strength. With the new prototype, the company realised their product could be commercially produced using 3D printing. The product became viable by dispensing with prohibitive tooling costs which reduced the production cost by 88% when compared to its metal predecessor.
The Enabling Innovation programme has provided us with a vast talent pool, access to specialist facilities and technologies that would have been beyond our reach as a small entrepreneurial business. The experience and knowledge that we have been able to tap into across the programme is enabling us to move the business forward with more confidence in our abilities.
Innovation events for SMEs
We hold workshops and events tailored to suit the needs of SMEs who are looking to develop new products and services. Topics covered include:
- creating new products
- brainstorming new services
- protecting Intellectual Property
Workshops and events are available to eligible SMEs in the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire area.
Book a place on our workshops and events.