Skip to content

Consumer information and terms

We recommend you take the opportunity to read the NTU Student Charter and the Student Handbook.

If you have any questions you can contact us at

See the US Federal Student Aid section and the US government’s US Federal Student Aid website for information on Title IV US Financial Aid, including information on:

  • terms and conditions of Title IV, HEA loans
  • criteria for selecting recipients and for determining award amount
  • eligibility requirements and procedures for applying aid
  • methods of frequency of disbursements of aid
  • rights and responsibilities of students receiving Title IV assistance
  • SAP requirements
  • loan terms including a sample repayment schedule and necessity for repaying the loan
  • enrolment on study abroad programmes and the impact on applying for financial aid
  • exit Counselling information the University collects and provides to servicers
  • student loan information published by the US Department of Education.

Price of Attendance

  • Information on Scholarships and tuition fees can be found on our International webpages
  • Information on accommodation options can be found on our Accommodation webpages
  • Cost of living information can be found on our Managing your money webpages
  • Reading lists can be obtained directly from your School, as each course team set their own reading list and provide guidance on any required textbooks or materials. For further information we would recommend contacting your Academic School directly, or the NTU Switchboard on +44 (0)115 941 8418.
  • Information on local transport can be found on our Travel webpage

Refund Policy

Information on our fee payment and refund policies can be found on our fee payment conditions pages.

Requirements for Withdrawal

Information on the University’s withdrawal process can be found in the Student Handbook.

The US Department of Education requires that a student's leave of absence, together with any additional leaves of absence, must not exceed a total of 180 days in any 12 month period.  If a student is granted leave of absence by the University that does not meet this condition and exceeds 180 days in any 12 month period, the University is required to report the student as withdrawn to the US Department of Education for Title IV purposes.

Return of Title IV Financial Aid

If you withdraw from your course (or become ineligible for funding) prior to the end of your loan period, the University is required to make a Return of Title IV Financial Aid calculation (R2T4) to determine the amount of loan has been ‘earned’; and the amount of loan that has been ‘unearned’.

All unearned income attributed to institutional charges must be returned to the US Department of Education by the University.

You can download the University’s Return of Title IV Refunds policy  for further information.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Prior to the payment of instalments of your direct loan, the University is required by the US Department of Education to check that you are progressing in your studies.

The Student Financial Support Service will liaise directly with your academic school to obtain this information, and if there is a problem that might affect your ability to receive the loan funding, we will contact you.

Download a copy of NTU’s Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.

Loan Disclosures

National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)

We are required to confirm your attendance online through the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).  The attendance confirmation is reported every 60 days.

Entrance and Exit Counselling

You are required to complete appropriate loan counselling for the loans you take out. This should be completed through the US Federal Student Aid website

Entrance counselling will advise you about the different types of loans available and the repayment responsibilities of participating in the loans programmes. We are unable to disburse the first instalment of your loan until we have received confirmation that you have completed entrance counselling.

Exit counselling gives you information about how to manage your student loans after your course, including information on repayment, deferment and the consequences of defaulting. You are required to complete Exit Counselling either when you are a final year student approaching the end of your studies at Nottingham Trent University, or where you are no longer eligible or choose to receive no further loan payments.

Private Education Loans and Disclosures

Nottingham Trent University is willing to work with any authorised Private Loan provider who will fund a student studying to for a degree at a Foreign School. However, at the present time we are only aware of one private lender that makes private loans available to US citizens receiving their degree at a Foreign School.

This is through the Sallie Mae Loan Provider.

Please note that the terms and conditions of Direct Loans may be more favourable than private loans and we encourage you to explore eligibility.

Private Loans are assessed using the same Cost of Attendance criteria as the Federal Direct Loan program (although no origination fee is included where this is not charged).

This will include deductions for any Estimated Financial Assistance received through Scholarships, Bursaries or the Federal Direct Loan program. Ordinarily all Private Loans payments will be split across 3 disbursement dates.

Academic Programmes

Information on current courses can be found in our Study and Courses section.

We are unable to certify Federal Student Aid for the following:

  • Further Education courses
  • The Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL)
  • PGCE courses
  • Diploma or Certificate achieving courses
  • Nursing or Paramedic courses
  • Distance learning/correspondence programmes
  • Programmes that require a compulsory period of study abroad or placement

Our Confetti and Mansfield sites are not eligible to certify Federal Direct Loans.

Additionally, as a foreign school we are unable to certify loans for any course in which a portion of the course involves spending time in the United States of America (this includes study, placement work or trips).

If you are studying on a course which is not eligible for Federal Student Aid, you may be eligible for private loans.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

You can find further details regarding your rights under the Family Educational Rights and privacy Act (FERPA) from the US Department of Education:

Please be aware that as part of a signed Master Promissory Note, required to receive Federal funding, privacy rights are waived by the signatory (either a prospective/current student, or the parent of a student) for all agencies involved in US Federal Student Aid (Direct Loan) processing.

As such, information relating specifically to your Title IV Loan will be shared with the US Department of Education, Western Union and the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS). Your data may also be viewed by an external contracted auditor to ensure administrative compliance with Department of Education criteria.

Where a loan agreement is made between the University and a prospective student, current student or parent of a student, loan information submitted to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) will be accessible by guaranty agencies, lenders and schools to be authorised users of the data system.

Safeguarding Customer Information, Right to review educational records, Privacy and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

Information on applicant and student data policies, privacy notices, and information governance policies and procedures can be found on our Information Governance webpages.


NTU has policies and procedures in place to ensure that it does not misrepresent information to students.

The NTU Student Charter sets out what students can expect from the University, and what the University expects from students.

The Office for Students (OfS) is a non-departmental public body of the UK Department of Education, which acts as the regulator and competition authority for the higher education sector in the UK, and was established by the Higher Education and Research Act 2017

The UK government has published guidance on consumer rights for students.

Code of Conduct for Education Loans

This code of conduct prohibits a conflict of interest of NTU staff with responsibility for Financial Aid administration.  The code prohibits:

  • Revenue-sharing arrangements with any lender
  • Receiving gifts from a lender, a guarantor, or a loan services
  • Contracting arrangement providing financial benefit from any lender or affiliate of a lender
  • Directing borrowers to particular lenders, or refusing or delaying loan certifications
  • Offers of funds for private loans
  • Call center or financial aid office staffing assistance
  • Advisory board compensation

Study Abroad

Details of our policy for Erasmus and International Exchange are available for download.  Information on international schools that are eligible to participate in the Federal student loan programme can be found on the Federal Student Aid webpages.

Disability Support

If you are a student with a physical or mental disability, specified learning difficulty or ongoing health difficulty, you may be eligible to access additional support whilst studying at Nottingham Trent University. Further details can be found on our Disability Services and Wellbeing Services webpages.

Accrediting Agencies

Higher learning institutions that are officially recognised in the UK are called either 'recognised' or 'listed' bodies. Recognised bodies are higher learning institutions that can award degrees. Nottingham Trent University is a recognised body. Further information can be found in Governance.

Still need help?

+44 (0)115 941 8418