Skip to content

Welcome to Nottingham Trent University (NTU). We are a community of more than 4,000 colleagues, all committed to the shared goal of becoming the ‘university of the future’. We are delighted that you will be joining us, and we look forward to welcoming you.

International staff


Moving to a new country can be very exciting, but we recognise that it can also be challenging, so we have created this site to help get you started. It will give you lots of relevant information about NTU and living in Nottinghamshire. We hope you find this site helpful; please contact our team at if you have any further questions.

To find out more about the University’s structure and the University Executive Team (UET), please click here.

Preparation and arrival

The UK currently has a points-based system (PBS) introduced in January 2021 for managing migration into the UK. You will need to gain permission before you enter the UK, either through entry clearance or a Visa application. For further information, please refer to the Home Office guidance.

Once you arrive, you will need to pass through immigration control. Please refer to the Home Office so that you know what to expect. Please check your passport, identity card or entry clearance stamp to see if you will be required to register with the police. Non-EU nationals from this list of countries may be required to register under the immigration rules.

COVID-19 Guidance

Find out more in relation to the latest updates on COVID-19 in Nottingham, and how we're working to ensure a safe and high-quality learning environment for our NTU community.

Learn more about how international and EU staff and students are being supported by NTU; including self-isolation, travelling and what to do upon your arrival to Nottingham,.

Life in the UK

Opening a UK bank account

NTU will require you to open a UK bank account, so that we can pay your wages directly into it once a month. As part of your offer pack you will have received a blank bank details form, which will need to be completed by you and returned to your HR contact. It is possible — but not straightforward — to open a UK account from abroad, so this will likely be one of the first tasks you’ll need to complete after your arrival in the UK. The most basic type of account is a standard ‘current account’. These accounts are typically free to open and use, but some may have fees. The most popular banks include:

  • HSBC
  • the Royal Bank of Scotland
  • Lloyds TSB
  • the Halifax
  • the Bank of Scotland
  • Barclays
  • Santander
  • the Co-operative
  • the Nationwide
  • the Tesco bank

Once you have selected a bank to use, opening a current account typically requires two things; a proof of identity and a proof of address. Providing proof of identity will be straightforward — just use your passport and biometric residence permit. Providing proof of address can be more problematic for international workers, as you will likely not have any official letters or utility bills showing your UK address.

The University can provide you with a formal letter stating your employment terms and new address. Many banks will accept this letter as evidence of address. Each bank could have slightly different requirements, however, so it is worth checking with your chosen bank about the evidence they need to see.

Once your account is opened you will be given an account number and a ‘sort code’. These two numbers identity your bank account. The Payroll team at NTU needs these details to send your wages to the correct place: please provide this information to either the recruitment team ( or directly to Payroll ( using the NTU bank details form.

Driving in the UK

To drive in the UK, you must have a valid license. If you have a license from an EU member country, then you may need to exchange this for a local one. The deadline for doing this depends on which country you live in, and you may need to retake your driving test. Click here for more information on EU driving licences, visit the GOV website.

Drivers in Britain must adhere to the highway code. For more information, please refer to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). To buy a car in the UK, you can purchase a new or used car from a motor dealer, or by private sale (Autotrader). Cars must be taxed and insured, and they must also have a valid MOT certificate if over three years-old.

Paramedic Mental Health

Health and Wellbeing

National Health Service (NHS)

The National Health Service (NHS) is England's government-funded medical and health care service. If you are working in the UK and have an NHS number, you are eligible access the NHS, which will pay for the majority of healthcare expenses.

If you are not eligible for free NHS treatment or wish to pay for your medical treatment, you may want to purchase private medical insurance. Two of the major insurers in the UK are BUPA and AXA PPP Healthcare. Comparison websites can help you find the best policy for your needs.

Find out further information on the NHS and its entitlements.

GP Services

All residents of England can register and consult with a doctor, also known as general practitioner (GP) without charge. GPs are self-employed and have contracts with NHS England to provide services to the NHS. Visit the NHS website to find your nearest GP practice. You will need to formally register by completing a registration form, which will be available from the practice.

Health emergencies

The national emergency telephone number is 999. The operator will ask you which emergency service you require — medical, police or fire. In the event of a life-threatening emergency, dial 999 and ask for an ambulance. For non-emergencies, dialling 111 will allow you to speak to a trained medical professional for medical advice, and 101 will allow you contact the police. These numbers are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.

Wellbeing at NTU

‘NHS Live Well’ is a great resource to look after your health and wellbeing. The service provides useful tips and advice, from eating well to exercise and sleep to addiction support. Visit for more information.

At NTU we offer a range of health and fitness services. As a member of the NTU community, you can access a number of voluntary benefits, including NTU's gym and sports facilities at both the City and Clifton campuses. Visit NTU's MyChoice Benefits for further information on NTU's gym benefits.

Find out more

To learn more about our campuses, facilities available to you, life in Nottingham and important household information, click the boxes below.