Art and Design
The Art and Design subject area draws together researchers located in Textiles, Visual Art, Design Theory and Material Culture, with Product Design colleagues in the School of Architecture, Design and the Built Environment.
Research Contact: Professor Jake Kaner
Our researchers include practitioners and theorists. Relationships that exist between their approaches mean we can develop future-orientated work that addresses the challenges that face culture and society, particularly in relation to consumption and sustainability, well-being and regional heritage. This builds on strong regional, national and international links that have resulted in collaborations with the V&A, Nottingham Contemporary and the World Event Young Artists 2012.
The work of the subject area includes:
- developmental research work in technical textiles
- design for medical applications
- research in sustainable design and material culture that applies social science methods, history of design, and research embedded in critically engaged art and craft practice.
Centres and Groups
- Advanced Design and Manufacturing Engineering Centre
- Centre for Industrial Energy, Materials and Products (CIE-MAP)
Impact case studies linked to this include: