Productivity Through Innovation
Improving productivity is key to economic growth and it is important as a region that we utilise and share our innovations, knowledge, skills and talent to achieve this.
The Productivity Through Innovation (PTI) project offers funded support to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, Derby and Derbyshire to improve their productivity and market competitiveness.
The PTI project team will work closely with you to understand the business and identify any barriers and opportunities to improve performance and accelerate business growth.
This will result in a tailor made package of support of both or either of the below.
Funding to employ a graduate
A grant to fund 20% of a graduate’s salary for up to 12 months to address a skills gap in your business (graduate can be from NTU or another university), coupled with support on the recruitment process to find the best candidates and advertising your role.
Consultancy with an NTU expert
A funded consultancy with NTU academics and/or technical experts with industry experience, which includes but is not limited to:
- Expertise from our award winning and internationally renowned Nottingham Business School on topics such as supply chain, business strategy, marketing, employee engagement and process innovation.
- Expertise in the latest technology, computing, science and product design form across the university
The project is part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
How PTI can make a difference to your business
We will work directly with participating businesses to identify and deliver meaningful, innovative and sustainable productivity improvements.
- Increase revenue.
- Identify inefficiencies and reduce costs.
- Develop, improve and implement products, services or processes.
- Fulfil and bridge skills and knowledge gaps.
- Bring in new, fresh talent.
- Improve business strategy and performance.
- Explore new markets to acquire new customers, and enhance market competitiveness.
Who is eligible for support?
- Most SMEs operating in Derby, Derbyshire, Nottingham and Nottinghamshire.
- Minimum of 5, but less than 250 employees.
- Annual turnover under EUR 50 million or annual balance sheet less than EUR 43 million.
Further suitability for the project will be discussed based on a diagnostic with the team.
If you do not meet the above criteria or are unsure, please contact us regardless as we may be able to signpost you to other support available.
Contact our team
Funding is available from until 31 March 2022. If you are interested in accessing these services or would like to know more, contact us on the details below.
For consultancy and technical support, contact David Shipley, Business Relationship Manager
- 0115 848 4472
For skills and talent opportunities, contact the NTU Talent team
- 0115 848 2189
What businesses are saying about PTI
It’s vital to be able to surround yourself with experts who are able to dissect the challenge quickly, and understand both the technical challenge and the business goal. This sort of support for small businesses is invaluable.
Ben Thompson, CEO at Macesport
We found the supply chain strategy support provided by NTU invaluable. We worked together to develop a toolkit giving an in-depth analysis of supplier relationships, costs, quality and risk mitigation which I will continue to use and update. This process has given me more confidence to engage with suppliers to discuss pricing, transparency and ensure sustainable practices are adhered to, which are important to my vision and values as a business.
Lynn Johnson, Managing Director at FSG
Privacy and data retention
Nottingham Trent University and Productivity Through Innovation privacy notice.
This project has been developed by Nottingham Trent University (NTU), University of Nottingham and the University of Derby with the express purpose of improving the region’s productivity to drive business growth and social prosperity.