NTU is one of the most sustainable universities in the world — ranked 3rd in the UK by the People and Planet University League, and 5th globally in the UI GreenMetric. We are proud of our world-class campuses complete with green spaces, sustainable buildings and transport infrastructure. The Sustainable Development Team works to embed sustainability within life at NTU and the Green Academy works to embed sustainability into the curriculum. The two teams work in partnership with other departments to continue to embed sustainability into everyday life at NTU.
Alongside the green ethos of our teaching and courses, NTU's recent investments and achievements include:
- over 107,000 sustainability actions taken by 2,200 students and staff through NTU Green Rewards saving over 130,000 kg CO2
- winning the 2019 Green Gown award for Outstanding Leadership Team of the Year in collaboration with NTSU.
- Green Flag awards for our Clifton and Brackenhurst Campuses, recognising our use of space and diversity of wildlife on-site
- the installation of 300 solar panels and solar water heaters at our New Hall accommodation
- a fleet of 200 bikes for NTU students and staff to hire for only £49 a year, and a workshop providing cycle maintenance services at City Campus
- contributing to the Nottingham British Heart Foundation partnership which saw students in the city donating 16,738 bags in 2019, with an estimated value of £234,332. Look out for BHF banks around halls and the city when you are clearing out this year.
- eliminating 116,000 plastic cups, 169,000 items of plastic cutlery, and 18,000 plastic straws across NTU through NTU's Plastic Planet Campaign.
We're proud of our progress and committed to sustainability, but to get to where we truly want to be we'll need your help. Get involved in one of our many initiatives, and you'll see a range of benefits — both for your university and your own employability.
If you're looking to increase your knowledge and experience of sustainability, we've got a range of accredited, group and individual initiatives on offer:
Allotment Volunteer and Tree Planting
Our Foodshare Allotment is open to all NTU students and staff. As a volunteer, you'll learn how to grow pesticide-free fruit and veg, meet new people, and get some valuable fresh air and exercise. All volunteers get a share of the produce grown, and the rest is donated to local charities and community cafes. Feel free to get in touch with the Sustainable Development team to find out more about when future sessions will be held.
In collaboration with partner organisations, we periodically coordinate tree planting days where students and staff can participate in planting trees at priority locations around Nottingham. Not only does this help ensure we’re leaving a positive legacy through expanded tree cover, but it also provides a meaningful opportunity to learn more about the green and natural places of Nottinghamshire.
Eco-Ambassadors are student volunteers who work with the Sustainable Development team to promote and support upcoming events. They help bridge the gap between students and the University, as student feedback is essential for the improvement of all future events. We hold meetings to report feedback from events and pitch ideas to improve sustainability around our campuses and halls. Get in touch to find out more.
Sustainability in Practice (SiP) — Certificate and Challenge Days
The Sustainability in Practice (SiP) Certificate is a free online course available to all NTU students, exploring sustainability issues through the lens of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. You can choose between three themes - Food, Energy or Clothing. The course is designed to increase your employability as well as your sustainability knowledge, and is officially recognised through a certificate of achievement. Visit our Sustainability section for further details.
Sustainability in Practice (SiP) Challenge Days are a chance to complete the SiP Certificate in just one day with support from the Green Academy. Visit the Sustainability Events page to find out more.
Our Sustainable Development team holds a series of events and activities throughout the year to raise awareness of current issues and encourage sustainable behaviour. These include:
- Green Week
- Nottingham Sustainability Conference
- Enterprise Week's Green Dragon Award
- Sustainability Action Week
- Net Zero Carbon Panel Discussion and Workshop
- Fairtrade Fortnight
Visit our Sustainability news and events page to learn what's on offer, and when.
Keep up to date
Read about how staff and students at NTU are working towards the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and creating the University of the Future, in our NTU-SDGs blog.