Dr Manu is a Lecturer/Senior Lecturer at NTU’s School of Architecture, Design and Built Environment where he leads and teaches a range of Construction Project Management and Quantity Surveying modules at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. He also has responsibility for supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate research within the school, including PhD-level research. Apart from his teaching and supervision duties, he is a research-active academic who engages in research consultancy and grant applications.
Prior to joining NTU, Emmanuel worked for a number of years as Research Associate and Visiting Lecturer at University of Wolverhampton. He has also worked in private practice as a Quantity Surveyor, where he developed expertise in contract administration, procurement and tendering and cost management.
He is research active and has published in a number of highly reputable peer-reviewed journals and conferences. He has also published a number of technical reports as part of his engagement in research consultancy, both in the UK and at EU level. His most recent research project was as co-researcher on INTERREG IVB NW Europe funded C2CBIZZ project with total value of about €9M (2011 – 2015). The focus of this project was on the implementation of Cradle to Cradle® principles (sustainability paradigm) in the built environment.
Emmanuel’s current research interests are in the areas of managing construction supply chains, construction procurement, cost management, BIM implementation and sustainability in the built environment. He is currently co-supervising two PhD research projects on institutionalized waste in the procurement process and collaborative approaches to project costing.
- Reviewer, International Journal of Project Management
- Reviewer, ICE Management, Procurement and Law Journal
- Reviewer, Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management
- Reviewer, Journal of Facilities Management
- Reviewer, International Journal of Construction Management
Member of Scientific Committee, Commonwealth Association of Surveying and Land Economy (CASLE) Conference, Abuja, Nigeria, 21-23 April 2016
Sponsors and collaborators
- BAM Construct UK
- Institute for Sustainability UK
- Lille Metropole, France
- Municipality of Bielefeld, Germany
- Manu, E, Ankrah, N, Chinyio, E A and Proverbs, D (2016) Functional Consequences of Trust in the Construction Supply Chain: A Multi-Dimensional View. In: P W Chan and C J Neilson (Eds.) Proceedings of the 32nd Annual ARCOM Conference, 5-7 September 2016, Manchester, UK, Association of Researchers in Construction Management, Vol 2, 931-940. [received the Wiley Blackwell best technical paper award].
- Sarhan, S., Pasquire, C., King, A.P., Manu, E. (2016) Are Tier One Contractors Making Their Money Out of Wasteful Procurement Arrangements? Proceedings of the 24th Annual Conference of the International Group for Lean Construction, IGLC-18th to 24th July 2016 - Boston, USA.
- Manu, E; Ankrah, N.A., Chinyio, E., Proverbs, D.G (2015) Trust influencing mechanisms in main contractor and subcontractor relationships during projects, International Journal of Project Management Vol. 33, Issue 7, pp. 1495–1508
- Ankrah, N.A., Manu, E. Booth, C.A. (2015) Cradle to cradle in business sites and the perspectives of tenant stakeholders, Procedia Energy, Vol. 83, pp. 31-40
- Ankrah, N.A., Manu, E., Hammond, F.N., Awuah, K.G.B., Tannahill, K. (2013) Beyond sustainable buildings: Eco-efficiency to eco-effectiveness through cradle-to-cradle design, Sustainable Building Conference 2013, 3-5 July 2013, Coventry, U.K.
- Ankrah, N.A., Manu, E. (2013) Towards a framework for investigating socio-cultural barriers to cradle-to-cradle principles in business park developments, Sustainable Building Conference 2013, 3-5 July 2013, Coventry, U.K.
- Manu, E; Ankrah, N.A., Proverbs, D.G., Chinyio, E. (2013) A cognitive approach to trust management in construction, Proceedings of the ICE – Management, Procurement and Law, Vol. 166, Issue 5, pp. 232 – 239.
- Manu, E., Ankrah, N.A., Chinyio, E. and Proverbs, D.G., (2012). Influence of the macro-economy on trust in construction supply chains. In: S.D. Smith, ed., Proceedings of the 28th Annual ARCOM Conference, Edinburgh, 3-5 September 2012. Association of Researchers in Construction Management (ARCOM), pp. 665-674. ISBN 9780955239069
- Manu, E., Ankrah, N.A., Chinyio, E. and Proverbs, D.G., (2011). Control influence on trust and relational governance in the client-contractor dyad. In: C. Egbu and E.C.W. Lou, eds., Proceedings of the 27th Annual ARCOM Conference, Bristol, 5-7 September 2011. Association of Researchers in Construction Management (ARCOM), pp. 455-463. ISBN 9780955239052
- Construction Procurement
- Contract Administration
- Construction Cost Management
- Construction Supply Chain Management