Louisa Chambers is a Lecturer in Fine Art and has taught across all levels on the undergraduate programme and into the MFA. She is responsible for a tutor group in Level 4, and co leader for the Level 4 module designing and delivering workshops, cross-year lectures, assessment, year meetings, seminars, group and individual tutorials.
Before working at NTU, she has been a visiting lecturer in both Higher Education and Further Education institutions across the UK.
She studied Fine Art at University for the Creative Arts, Farnham and gained an MA in Painting at the Royal College of Art, London (2007). You can see more of her work on her website.
Louisa is a painter with a studio based practice. She has been developing a series of works that incorporates a simple folded form. Focusing on how a folded shape can be transfigured at speed from a temporary structure (three dimensional) into a flat two-dimensional space (painting). Each form can be squashed again, folded, opened, twisted and then recorded from observation.
Recent paintings are close up studies of reconfigured patterns from found fragments of printed fabric and paper. The colours are not true to the original sources and instead are intuitively selected. She is interested in the printed patterned tessellations that are on the surface of these forms and when manipulated create other spaces, angles and areas of illusion. These works are part of on-going research into depiction and visual perception on two and three dimensional surfaces. She has exhibited both nationally and internationally, has been a finalist in numerous competitions and has worked on various public site specific commissions.
- Veneer, Wirksworth Festival (Derbyshire 2017)
- Flag Commission, The Usher Gallery (Lincoln 2017)
- Line and Fold, PAPER Gallery, CAMPBASEL (Basel 2017)
- Precision of Thought, SE9 Container Gallery (London 2017)
- New Room, Class Room (Coventry 2016)
- Razzle Dazzle, Transition Gallery (London 2016)
- Wish You Were Here, Estuary Festival, Metal (Southend-on-Sea 2016)
- Now for Tomorrow II, Nottingham Castle Museum and Art Gallery (Nottingham 2016)
- If a pair is two, what is three? Paravent and Razzle: All that Jazz, The Harley Gallery (Nottinghamshire 2016)
- Autocatalytic Future Games, No Format (London 2015)
- In Miniature, Small Collections Room Nottingham Contemporary (Nottingham 2015) About Painting, Castlefield Gallery (Manchester 2014)
Sponsors and collaborators
- The Collection, Lincolnshire
- Nottingham Castle Museum and Art Gallery
- John Moores Contemporary Painting Prize