Dr Osman is a Principal Lecturer and reads Service-Centric and Cloud Computing and Semantic Web Technologies to Level 3 and MSc students. He is also the manager of the Computing and Technology postgraduate courses.
Dr Osman is a member of the Intelligent Simulation, Modelling and Networking Research Group (ISMN).
His research interests include:
- semantic web
- open linked data
- knowledge engineering
- intelligent information retrieval and multi-agent systems.
Building on a strong research track record in intelligent multi-agent systems, Dr Osman started exploring the utilisation of the semantic web technology in the intelligent composition of Web services. The application of semantic technologies in Dr Osman's research further expanded to intelligent information retrieval and knowledge management, which culminated in the collaboration with the Press Association – the UK's primer multimedia content and news provider, where Dr Osman's research team helped the company to develop a semantic-based image indexing and retrieval system that improves the accuracy and recall of PA Photos images search engine.
Opportunities to carry out postgraduate research towards an MPhil / PhD exist and further information may be obtained from the NTU Graduate School.
Sponsors and collaborators
Recent research funding:
- Knowledge Transfer Partnership with the British Geological Survey international (BGSi) 'Web-enabled Geothematic Mapping Portal for De-risking Mineral Exploration' funded by the Technology Strategy Board.
- Short Knowledge Transfer Partnership with Loreus, aiming to further develop their Carbon Manager software to enable the input and calculation of CO2 emission factors for multiple countries, funded by the Technology Strategy Board.
- EMDA (East midlands Development Agency) funded multi-disciplinary mapping project that uses semantic technologies to model various domains in civic city centres (e.g. tourism, retail, public services), in preparation for dynamically generating interactive interfaces that are automatically customized for specific beneficiary groups such as City Council Planners, Students, and Entrepreneurs.
- Knowledge Transfer Partnership with PA Photos, 'Intelligent Photo Indexing and Retrieval using Semantic Technologies', funded by the Technology Strategy Board.
- 'Web services-based Integration Framework for CRM', with Skylight Media
- 'A Multi-Agent System for Safety Navigation of Marine Traffic', with Thierry Huet and French Naval Academy, funded by The British Council.
- Semantics based intelligent indexing and retrieval of digital images – A case study, Osman T, Thakker D and Schaefer G in: Emergent Web Intelligence: Advanced Information Retrieval, Series on Advanced Information and Knowledge, Springer, 2010, 117-134
- Spatial web services with case-based reasoning. Osman T, Thakker D, Yang Y, and Claramunt C in Web and Wireless Geographical Information Systems, Book Series: Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, 2006, 4295, 247-258
- Utilisation of case-based reasoning for semantic web services composition. Osman T, Thakker D, Al-Dabass D, International Journal of Intelligent Information Technologies, January-March 2009, 5 (1), 24-42
- An approach to rollback recovery of collaborating mobile agents. Osman T, Wagealla W, Bargiela A, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, 2004, 34 (1), 48-57
- Utilising semantic technologies for decision support in dementia care. Osman T, Rmaswamy S, Mahmoud SM and Saeed M, Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Computer Modelling and Simulation-UKSim 2013, 628-633
- Investigating the use of semantic technologies in spatial mapping applications. Osman T, Shires L, HAgue J, Omitola T and Shadbolt N, Proceedings of the 27th European Conference on Modelling and Simulation - ECMS 2013
- A pragmatic approach to semantic repositories benchmarking. Thakker D, Osman T, Gohil S and Lakin P, 7th The Extended Semantic Web Conference ESWC 2010, June 2010, Heraklion, Crete, Greece, May 30 –June 3, Proceedings Part I - Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2010, 6088, 379-393
- Echo state network for occupancy prediction and pattern mining in intelligent environment. Mahmoud SM, Lotfi A, Sherkat N, Langensiepen C and Osman T, Proc. of the 5th International Conference on Intelligent Environments, Barcelona, 2009, 7, 474-481
For full list click 'Go to Taha Osman's publications' link above.See all of Taha Osman's publications...
Dr Osman is available to comment on the following:
- Semantic Web
- Linked Open Data
- Service-oriented and Cloud Computing