Postgraduate Diploma in Law (Full-time)
Congratulations on receiving an offer to study the Postgraduate Diploma in Law at Nottingham Law School. This course has been designed to equip you with the legal knowledge and skills necessary to enable you to pursue your legal career. We offer you a solid academic grounding in the Law, as well as practical exercises and assessments to allow you to begin developing the key skills of a lawyer. Additional opportunities are available through our Legal Advice Centre, where you can get involved in pro bono work, working on real cases and offering legal advice to the public.
Upon completion of the course, you can be confident that you will be ready for the next step in your legal training, be that preparation for the SQE or the Bar Course.
Why choose us?
- We have a long-established reputation for delivering excellence in legal education.
- We offer a multi-award-winning pro bono programme, including a Legal Advice Centre.
- Every student will take part in career enhancing opportunities during the course.
- We offer excellent career support, through our dedicated Employability team.
- Workshops are designed to encourage interactive learning, as our students learn in small groups by supportive teaching staff.
- You will have a dedicated personal tutor. We get to know our students and support and encourage you in both your studies and in your employment applications at the start of your legal career.
- We are a full-service Law School. At the end of your PGDL, you will be able to continue your legal training with us, whichever branch of the profession you decide to train for. On the basis of their positive experience, many of our students choose to stay with Nottingham Law School to complete the next stage of their legal training.
- You will have all the facilities a large Law School can offer plus the advantages of studying within a university environment which offers an outstanding library, IT support, sports, language and student union services.
Accepting your offer
All details of your offer can be found on the Applicant Portal.
If you wish to accept your offer, log onto the Applicant Portal and follow the instructions set out in your offer email. We aim to acknowledge your acceptance straight away. If you don’t hear from us, please contact us via Ask NTU or telephone +44 (0)115 848 4460.
Starting your course
The start date for this course is Monday 12 September 2022
Useful course information
- In-person workshops are compulsory. They are at least two hours and provide an opportunity to learn and discuss topics and fictional practical scenarios in depth with your peers and tutor.
- You will also be required to attend examinations and induction events during the academic year. You will receive notice of these dates well in advance.
- It will help you if you do a limited amount of preparatory reading before the course starts. Set pre-reading will be available once you have accepted a place.
- Learning resources and timetables are online so a laptop is essential for your studies. You will also need Wi-Fi at home.
Please contact us via Ask NTU if you wish to defer your place.
Our offer is based on the assumption that, when you made your application, you disclosed any disability that might affect the way in which we deliver the course or assess you.
In such a case, we will either:
- agree with you that the disability will require no special facilities, or
- meet you to discuss what facilities will be necessary.
If you have a disability but have not yet disclosed it, we need to hear from you immediately so that we can evaluate your needs and determine what adjustments we are able to make to accommodate those needs. Please contact Student Support Services by emailing Student Support or calling +44 (0)115 848 2085.
Please note that if you are a current student at Nottingham Trent University (NTU) and you already have adjustments through Student Support Services for your current course, these adjustments will not automatically be carried forward on to this Course. You will need to contact Student Support Services as soon as possible so a fresh evaluation can be made to accommodate your needs.
As a postgraduate student, you can apply for University accommodation. To guarantee yourself a place, you should apply and pay your deposit before the end of May.
International students are required to make an advance payment. To find out more find out how and when to pay your fees.
Fees and funding
Nottingham Law School is delighted to offer a number of generous scholarships and loyalty schemes to students starting our Postgraduate Diploma in Law course including;
- Dean's Post Graduate Diploma in Law Scholarship for Academic Excellence
- NTU alumni discount
- University of Nottingham fee concession
For more information visit our NLS Funding page.
Please visit the PGDL course page for full details of course fees.
Visit us at one of our Postgraduate open events, find out more about student life and meet our academics.
Successful completion of this course allows you to progress onto our specialist courses preparing you for the Solicitors Qualifying Exam. It also enables you to progress on to the LLM Barristers Training Course (BTC) or PGDip BTC for aspiring barristers.
We have a dedicated Employability team who will support you in your search for work experience, pupillage and other opportunities. We ensure we provide the support required to give you the best possible start to your legal career:
- Our Employability team provide seminars with advice about applications and interview techniques.
- We will review your applications and formulate individual career plans. We also provide a practical interview preparation service.
- We provide a mentoring scheme with trainees from local law firms to provide support and guidance and a personal view of what to expect from life in the profession.
- We provide opportunities for mooting and advocacy practice before local magistrates.
- Employability and commercial awareness are given appropriate focus, which provides a true bridge into practice.
Many firms will appreciate your well-rounded knowledge and the commitment demonstrated by completing the PGDL, and even if you decide not to pursue a career as a solicitor or barrister, you will have gained a range of transferable skills that will be highly valued by employers.
Find out more about your future career.
Call +44 (0)115 848 4460 or contact us via Ask NTU.