Your path to a great future
Maybe you’re looking for a different route into higher education, or a taster of uni life. You may be a mature student considering a return to education, or you have work or care commitments and you’re wanting to study closer to home.
At NTU in Mansfield we provide access to alternative routes in higher education where you can study qualifications, including higher national qualifications; foundation, top-up and bachelor (honours) degrees.
We've built qualifications with the local job market in mind. Each of our higher education courses is relevant, hands-on and work focused. Whether you want to become an engineer, nurse, paramedic, personal trainer, or entrepreneur, we’re here to help.
Why choose to study here?
- You’re taught by NTU academics, researchers and experts.
- You can access flexible study with block learning over two-three days a week.
- You’ll join a tight-knit and friendly community of academics and 400+ students.
- You’ll enjoy small class sizes for tailored support.
- Experience excellent links with local organisations for work experience, placements and projects.
- Access wider NTU services including student support, employability, and the students’ union.
- Access a great range of student benefits as an NTU student.
- Some courses offer progression into degrees at other NTU campuses.
- Graduate with a university qualification from NTU.
The university hub
Our dedicated higher education hub is based 14 miles north of Nottingham city centre and is part of NTU’s campus network across Nottinghamshire. It’s a community-driven university site, established in 2020 and is a shared location with Vision West Nottinghamshire College, on the outskirts of Mansfield town. It’s a small, compact and self-contained facility, providing higher-level education in our local community.
Types of qualification
We offer a range of qualifications for specific disciplines.
- Bachelors degrees (or honours, styled as ‘Hons’) are Level 6 courses. We offer Bachelor of Arts, or BA (Hons) and Bachelor of Science, or BSc (Hons).
- Foundation degrees are standalone Level 5 courses and are equivalent to completing two years of a three-year degree. We offer a range of subjects as Foundation Degree in Arts (FdA) and Foundation Degree in Science (FdSc). You can choose to extend your studies to achieve a full degree with a top-up degree.
- Higher Technical Qualifications (HTQs) provide vocationally-focused training and skills for specific industries. Higher National Diplomas (HND) are Level 5 courses equivalent to two years of a degree. Higher National Certificates (HNC) are Level 4 and typically take about a year. Both routes offer the opportunity to top-up to a full degree. Find out more.
- Top-up degrees are Level 6 Bachelors degrees that turn qualifications like foundation degrees or Higher National Certificates into full degrees, through an additional year of study.
- Certificate in Higher Education (Cert HE) are Level 4 qualifications equivalent to one year of a degree, and typically related to a profession. These usually offer the opportunity to top-up to a full degree.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) and Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (ProfGCE) are teacher training programmes in the lifelong learning (post-16) sector.