Supporting your future
Today's job market is more competitive than ever. To stand out you'll need the whole package: a strong qualification, industry experience and the skills to properly market yourself. We're one of the UK's most employment-focused universities, and we're here to help.
Our graduates get jobs
- 96% of our undergraduates are in work or further study within six months of finishing their degrees. (Destination of Leavers from Higher Education [DLHE] survey, 2015/16)
- The UK graduate market keeps on growing. Last year, more degree-holders found work than ever before. (DLHE survey, 2015/16)
NTU - supporting you into work
We want you to turn your passion into your career. Studying at NTU will kick start your future, but there's lots of other skills you'll want to build to help you secure a job that excites you.
That's why we make sure our courses are professionally accredited, our work experience is built-in to the course and our teaching is led by industry experts. We remove the gap between learning and doing, getting you ready for employment.
Our dedicated Employability team — on-hand to provide you with targeted, relevant support, at every stage of your planning — will help you to develop a competitive advantage that makes the key difference to your professional prospects.
At NTU there’s so much emphasis placed on employability and what comes next after university! It really does prepare you for the job you want in the future and offers planet of support to help you get there.
Beck Thompson, LLB (Hons) Law
Employability — what it is, and why it matters
Your overall appeal to employers — your employability — comes from much more than just a piece of paper. Qualifications are important, but in today’s market they won’t get you the job on their own. Employers are looking for candidates who can prove their passions and abilities, and not just talk about them. They want to meet well-rounded, ambitious people, who’ve committed their own time to developing themselves — and not just academically. The extracurricular challenges you choose to pursue at NTU could therefore make the key difference in showing employers who you really are.
If you work hard, our teaching and learning environment — alongside the support of our Employability team — will maximise your value to employers. We don’t just produce graduates: we’re creating team players, innovators and industry leaders, based on the opportunities we provide our students both within and outside of their courses. We develop people who are ready to shine — who enter their chosen jobs with valuable, first-hand experience of what’s expected.
Here's some of the services we provide to support you into employment
Work experience opportunities
At NTU, we help you turn knowledge into action. Whatever course you’re studying, you’ll have the chance to test and grow your skills where it matters — in the workplace. When you meet with graduate employers, you’ll have more than just a qualification; you’ll have relevant, hands-on industry experience, and access to our huge network of companies and partners.
NTU is in the UK’s top ten universities for the number of students taking year-long work placements (HESA, 2016/17). Visit our work experience page to learn more about the range of opportunities we’re offering.
Our passionate Employability team
It’s never too early to start planning for life after uni. Our Employability team will support you throughout your time at NTU, helping you to make the most of your achievements in and outside of the classroom. We’ll support you in:
- developing the perfect CV, and tailoring it towards different jobs and industries
- building the skills and professional attributes required for life as a graduate
- preparing for interviews, and dealing with any awkward questions
- locating placements and graduate jobs
- finding out about employer events and jobs fairs.
It’s a personalised service, geared towards your own specific needs and goals. Located at our City, Clifton and Brackenhurst campuses, our Employability Centres offer drop-in sessions, and one-to-one appointments with NTU’s careers consultants. What’s more, each School has its own dedicated consultants, giving you even more insight into securing work in your chosen field. We also have an extensive online support offer for you on Employability Online, so you’ll have access 24/7.
Links with global employers
NTU has developed a national and international reputation for the quality of our graduates. Study here, and you’ll get a professional head-start with our global network of employers — major multi-nationals who attend jobs fairs on campus, giving you the chance to meet and present yourself face-to-face. Nottingham also has a vibrant graduate recruitment market and we work closely with organisations within the region to retain our talent and provide you with exciting opportunities on your doorstep. With events tailored to different subjects and industries, it’s a fantastic chance to get ahead of the game in your chosen field.
Our Recruiter Insights Live events will also help you to ensure you’re doing (and saying) the right things — you’ll have the opportunity to hear from major employers around the world, and learn what they’re expecting to see from today’s applicants.
We also know that not everybody has a specific career in mind. If you’re weighing up the job market and keeping your options open, our eNGage initiative gives you access to employers from industries beyond your subject and sector. So think outside the box — eNGage is an eye-opening chance to see just how transferable your skills could be!
Self-employment and entrepreneurship experts
Our tradition for nurturing entrepreneurs is as old as NTU itself. If you’ve got the energy and ideas to forge your own professional path, The Hive — our purpose-built centre for entrepreneurship and enterprise — can help turn your business dreams into a reality. We’ve been supporting our students with their self-employment ideas since 2001, helping more than 400 start-ups into existence. Press ahead on your own terms, and we’ll help you with mentoring, specialist sector insights, training programmes, and access to funding.
Opportunities to boost your CV
Hopefully, you’ll throw yourself into life at NTU, and make the most of your time here. As your extracurricular experiences pile up — whether that’s volunteering, mentoring other students, or getting involved with our award-winning Students’ Union — our Acceler8 Award logs your progress and awards you points, culminating in a bronze, silver or gold award. It’s a great way to flesh out your CV alongside your academic achievements, giving employers a strong indication of the person you are — and not just the degree you’ve earned.
Online job portal
Through FutureHub — our online portal for graduate opportunities and vacancies — you’ll have access to a huge range of employers and organisations, all looking to recruit NTU students and graduates. The positions on offer will include:
- graduate jobs, both at home and abroad
- exciting internships, which could be a vital foot in the door to the industry you love
- voluntary and part-time vacancies, to complement your studies
- research opportunities.
If you’re looking for part-time work whilst you’re studying, our own jobs agency JobShop will also be happy to help.
Rise – student support for success
At NTU we want all students to enjoy the same level of success both during and after their studies. Our Employability Rise Team was created to enable eligible students to fulfil their potential and have the same opportunity to access valuable industry experience and skills, as their peers.
Rise – Who’s eligible?
Research shows there are many factors that can influence student success during and beyond the University. In addition to what you do on your course, there can be some external factors that can impact your success, which Rise support aims to challenge. Students who meet any of the below criteria can access support from Rise:
- Postcode: Students from certain postcode areas where progression into Higher Education is low
- Low income households: Students who are entitled to maximum tuition fee and maintenance loan from Student Finance AND in receipt of the NTU Bursary
- Disability: Students in receipt of Disabled Student’s Allowance
- Care Leavers: Students who have formerly been in Local Authority or Foster Care
- University entry qualifications: Students who have entered university on BTEC qualifications only
“Taking part in the Rise PLAN gives you the power to understand how to self-analyse and market yourself and also how to handle placements and the application process.”
Yerenny Calvo Asuncion, Business Management & Marketing
“The Work Experience Fund was very easy to apply for and I received my funding quickly in time for my work experience. It was a huge help for me in order to cover travel costs and it only takes a couple of minutes to check your eligibility for the funding!”
Chloe Chilton, Childhood Studies
Over 50% of the students who attended last year's Rise PLAN went on to secure a placement for this year*
*Students who secured a year-long placement, or study abroad year following attendance on the Rise PLAN
Rise support you could access
- Rise Work Experience Fund – Funding up to £300 to help with the costs of undertaking unpaid work experience. Students who meet at least one of the Rise eligibility criteria can apply.
- Rise Progression Fund – Funding up to £75 to help with the costs of attending recruitment activities for 2nd year undergraduate placements and graduate opportunities. Students must meet at least one of the Rise criteria to apply.
- Rise PLAN – (Placement Learning Academy NTU) A specially developed programme designed to support 2nd year students seeking placements. This intensive programme aims to boost confidence and resilience, make you more commercially aware and give you the vital skills to achieve success in recruitment processes.
- Sandwich Placement Bursary – Financial support of up to £1,500 for some eligible students who will be completing a sandwich placement as part of their course.
(Information correct as of May 2020 - funds are subject to change)