ADBE celebrate their first EDI Matters student competition
EDI Matters is a competition that challenges students to create a poster and presentation on Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion - and the future of their industry. This first EDI Matters competition in March 2023 was focussed on Race Equality and one other protected characteristic.
EDI Matters is a new initiative that values the inclusion of diverse student voices in the co-creation of their learning experience, which connects to the wider University commitment to SCALE-UP, Success for All and the University, reimagined strategy. This is led by Dr Anthony Ogbuokiri (ADBE Race Equality Champion) and Dr Rebecca Gamble (ADBE Athena Swan Champion).
The EDI Matters competition finale event on 21st March, included five outstanding presentations from students, who in pairs or individually, shared their research, personal experience and innovative ideas for a more equitable, diverse and inclusive future.
Prizes were selected and awarded by the judging panel, including Clive Foster MBE, Executive Dean Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at NTU, Nelly Twumasi-Mensah, Regional Director at Faithful+Gould and ADBE Visiting Fellow, Reuel Blair, Lead Diversity Programmes Coordinator Centre for Student and Community Engagement and Professor Richard Bull, Deputy Dean, School of Architecture, Design and the Built Environment.
Students were also awarded a Certificate of Achievement and became Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Ambassadors.
Best Research and Idea (£500):
- Anet Evarist Ndikilo and Gopikrishnan Radhakrishnan Nair
- 1st Prize (£300): Hunar Arora and Ayodele Solomon Ogunbusola - MSc Project Management (Construction)
- 2nd Prize (£200): Anet Evarist Ndikilo and Gopikrishnan Radhakrishnan Nair - MSc Project Management (Construction) and MSc Quality Surveying
- 3rd Prize (£100): Jamie Smith - BA Business Management and Economics (2nd year)
- 1st Prize (£300): Montel Smith - BA Product Design (final year)
- 2nd Prize (£200): Hunar Arora and Ayodele Solomon Ogunbusola - MSc Project Management (Construction)
- 3rd Prize (£100): Arshiya Jain and Harshil Kothari BA Product Design (2nd year)
I had the privilege of being on the panel – it was just fantastic to see five groups of students presenting so confidently and so passionately around challenges of racial diversity and inclusion, particularly in Construction Management and Product Design - both areas where we see underrepresentation. - Professor Richard Bull, ADBE Deputy Dean.
It was truly a fantastic experience witnessing such excellent work from our students on EDI, many congratulations to our contestants for the well-deserved prizes. Our panellists did a great job. It was also a pleasure working on such an important project with Dr Gamble and the rest of the team. - Dr Anthony Ogbuokiri, Senior Lecturer and Race Equality Champion for ADBE.
Find out more about ADBE’s commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.