Skip to content

Request a Reference

As a former student of Nottingham Trent there may be times when you need to request a reference. There are two kinds of references. Please read the details carefully below.

Academic reference

An academic reference confirms the course, dates you studied and any award(s) you achieved. It will not however comment on your character.

All Academic References for NTU current and former students are processed through Higher Education Degree Datacheck (HEDD). Please provide your prospective employer with the HEDD website and they will be able to log on and obtain an academic reference for you.

HEDD is supported by the UK Government and recognised authorities of UK Higher Education. For more information on HEDD you can visit their website or read the guidelines for employers here.

Character reference

A character reference is based on your character and can only be completed by someone who knows you and your nature e.g. a former tutor.

Please email your former academic school. The school will contact a previous tutor to complete the reference for you if they feel they knew you well enough.

Please include your name, date of birth, course, date of award and student number if you still have it. A telephone number is also helpful in case further information is required.

For subjects within:

  • School of Science & Technology
  • School of Animal, Rural and Environmental Sciences


For subjects within:

  • School of Art & Design
  • School of Architecture, Design and Built Environment
  • School of Arts and Humanities


For subjects within:

  • Nottingham Business School
  • Nottingham Institute of Education
  • Nottingham Law School
  • School of Social Sciences


Validation Service Students should contact

Contact us

Our alumni and supporters enable amazing things to happen at Nottingham Trent University. Contact the Development and Alumni Relations Team on or telephone +44 (0)115 848 8777

Follow us!