Skip to content

International students – bringing your spouse or family

If you plan to study at NTU and bring your spouse and/or family with you, there is a lot to consider. You'll find guidance on this page. Please read this information very carefully and contact us if you need more advice before making your decision.

How we can support you

Our International Student Support team are dedicated to the needs of international students and we offer advice on a range of issues, including bringing your spouse and / or family with you when you study.

We’re part of a wider team, Student Support Services, and you can find us in the Student Services Centres.

Many of our frequently asked questions on this matter are listed below. If your question is not answered here, you can email us or call us on +44 (0)115 848 2631.


NTU does not currently provide university accommodation for families or couples.

Please read our guidance on accommodation matters and our International Student Support Team can also give advice.

There is currently very limited family housing available to rent in Nottingham. We advise you to take this into consideration before making plans to travel with your family to study with us.

Frequently asked questions on bringing family

Please check the immigration requirements to see if you are eligible to bring dependants with you, with either of these organisations:

If you need further advice, please contact the International Student Support Service.

As well as accommodation you may also have to arrange childcare, education and health services for you and your family. Depending on where you live you can access information from local councils including Nottingham City Council which covers Nottingham city centre and Clifton. Nottinghamshire County Council covers areas such as Rushcliffe, Brackenhurst and Southwell.

You should secure your accommodation in Nottingham before searching for schools or childcare. State school places in the UK are allocated on the basis of the area where you are living. It's more convenient to choose childcare provision located close to you.

Please note that it is your responsibility to provide appropriate childcare for your children and it's important to be aware that, as a student, your timetable may change throughout the year depending on the structure of your course.

Children under five years old - nursery

If your child is three or four years old, they are entitled to a free part-time nursery education place. They attend nursery before they are old enough to start primary school. These places are usually available from the school term following their third birthday. Terms typically begin in September, January or April.

Private nurseries charge fees. There are private nurseries close to both our City and Clifton campuses if your child:

  • is under three, or
  • needs to be looked after on a full-time basis while you are studying.

Alternatively, you can choose to have your child looked after by a childminder in a private home. All childminders must be registered with the Office for Standards in Education (OFSTED) if:

  • they look after children under the age of eight, and
  • do so for more than two hours a day.

Find comprehensive advice and information on childcare provision in Nottingham on AskLiON. This includes an online directory of nurseries and childcare providers close to you. You can also:

  • call the Families Information Service on 0800 458 4114
  • find our more about living in the UK.

You might be living in Nottinghamshire County rather than the city of Nottingham. If so, find out about choosing childcare from the Nottinghamshire County Council website.

Children aged between 5 and 16 - school

Your children can go to a state school if they are aged between 5 and 16. State education is free in the UK.

If your children come with you to the UK, they'll be able to attend a state school if they're between the ages of 5 and 16. Children who reach the age of 4 between 1 April and 31 August usually start school the following September.

To get advice and information about applying for a school place for your children, you can:

It can take four to six weeks to process an application for a school place. You may have to arrange alternative childcare while you wait for a decision. Please be aware that school places may not be available in your nearest or preferred school. Check which schools have places available before you sign an accommodation contract. You can get this information from the relevant council.

Find out about applying to schools in Nottingham city.

Find out about applying to schools in Nottinghamshire county. This includes Beeston and West Bridgford.

If you are bringing your children to the UK you may need to budget for appropriate childcare. For example, if your child is under 5 you may need to pay private nursery fees (these vary by provider). You will also need to budget for suitable family accommodation and other essential costs such as associated bills, groceries and transport.

As a guide, you should expect to pay around £750 - £1,300 per month for family accommodation in Nottingham, depending on the area. You should confirm whether it comes furnished/unfurnished and if bills are included. You will be asked to pay a refundable tenancy deposit for your chosen property. The deposit should be held by an approved tenancy deposit scheme. At the end of the tenancy (if no damages) the tenant should receive their deposit back. In addition to the deposit, you will be asked to pay rent upfront for at least 3 months, and in some cases up to 12 months. If you cannot do this, you will be asked to provide a UK-based guarantor. NTU works with YourGuarantor.

Please read our guidance on accommodation matters

For student life, you can also find a breakdown of monthly student living costs on our managing your money web page.

Permanent residents of the UK have healthcare through the National Health Service (NHS). Dependents of international students are also entitled to this if:

  • The international student is studying in the UK for six months or more.
  • They have paid the Immigration Health Surcharge as part of their visa application.

As part of the Student visa application, they must pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) to be eligible for free healthcare through the NHS. The IHS is £470 per year.

Free healthcare includes:

  • Consulting a doctor, also known as a 'general practitioner' or 'GP'.
  • Treatment in a hospital, including emergency treatment.

Charges apply for some services, such as:

For more information on the NHS services and what you may have to pay for the UKCISA website is a useful source.

Working in the UK

Please read our guidance on working in the UK as an international student.

Your dependants will be able to work if you are either:

  • a government-sponsored student taking a course that is longer than six months, or
  • taking a postgraduate course of nine months or longer.

Visit the UKCISA website for more information on:

  • work entitlements, and
  • the types of work they can do.

Places of worship

Representing multiple faiths, we have facilities for prayer and other faith activities across our campuses and within Nottingham.

  • When searching for properties, make sure you are well connected to the campus you’ll be studying at. Nottingham has a good bus and tram networks that connect to suburbs such as Clifton, West Bridgford, Mapperley, Sherwood, Wilford, Hucknall, Hyson Green, Bulwell and Beeston. Check the bus network map and tram website to see the transport links.
  • Start searching for rental properties using Unipol, Rightmove and Zoopla.

For more advice please visit our accommodation for families web page.