Welcome to NTU Tennis!
We offer a three-tiered participation programme, which caters for every level of player, whatever their motivation. Our comprehensive programme offers a pathway for NTU students and staff from beginner to BUCS student team-level. We are committed to developing a diverse and inclusive offer, including NTU’s disability student population. We have equipment available including sports chairs for use by any wheelchair user who wishes to engage with our programme.
NTU Tennis Club is based at NTU Sport's state of the art 4-court indoor tennis centre on Nottingham Trent University's Clifton Campus.
NTU Tennis Club has 4 men's and 3 women's BUCS teams that compete in weekly team tennis fixtures on a Wednesday. In 2019-20, we recorded the highest BUCS points haul in our history, recognising the significant progress of our BUCS programme. Our Men's & Women's 1st teams compete in the Midlands 1A league; the 3rd tier of BUCS Team Tennis. The 7 BUCS teams train up to 3 mornings a week. NTU students can also represent the university in the BUCS Tennis Individual Championships (singles, doubles & wheelchair competitions), which takes place in the second half of the academic year. If selected, you will also have access to a number of coaching sessions per week with our Head Coach – Callum Chivers (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Upon invitation our athletes receive:
- Access to coach lead Strength & Conditioning programmes
- Access to physiotherapy/sports therapy
- Access to group interventions in sports psychology and sports lifestyle
We have a number of development teams that compete against local community teams in regular weekend team tennis fixtures in the Nottinghamshire Winter Leagues. Athletes are given the opportunity to represent NTU tennis, including the University Development Leagues and LTA Team Challenge Tennis Festivals.
NTU Tennis can help you progress off the court as well as on it, with a dedicated workforce development programme, which includes paid and voluntary opportunities as well as the opportunity to apply for funding to support you to achieve qualifications including LTA Coach Education. For more information on workforce development contact our Tennis Centre co-ordinator, Harrison Fernandez Lewis (email@example.com).
Training takes place at the NTU tennis centre on Clifton campus. Opportunities to train and play every day of the week, with specific scheduling depending on your level and ability.
The annual NTU Tennis Club Championships is for everyone in the club to battle it out to become champion in a range of competitions for the academic year! The finals day is a great social event to celebrate the year of tennis at NTU.
Playing tennis doesn’t have to mean a big, long-term commitment, we run regular Play for Fun sessions that focus on making sport sociable, inclusive and enjoyable.
There is no requirement to join the club, all sessions must be booked in advance on the NTU Sport App.
How to join
- Students selected to represent NTU in external competition including BUCS Team Championships, Nottinghamshire Winter League.
- This membership includes 3+ hours per week training sessions led by NTU staff/LTA qualified coaches and regular representative matches/competition.
- Students that are interested in coached tennis sessions led by student session leaders on the LTA coach development pathway.
- Students will initially be placed into Development squads (see below) by NTU staff with opportunities to transition through our pathway.
- This membership includes 2-3 hours per week of coached tennis, including the above squads & drill-based sessions.
Additional extras also available such as: Box Leagues (£10 per term), Matchplays (£5 per event)
- Students wishing to play socially during allotted court times (TBC) as well as access to other benefits of NTU Tennis Club membership e.g. buying NTU Tennis merchandise, social events.
*It is important to note that this membership does not include access to Play for Fun sessions.
Trials and tasters will be running throughout welcome week.