Learn about the Trent Institute for Learning and Teaching (TILT): an initiative to support excellence in learning and teaching at NTU.
What is TILT?
The core mission of TILT is to develop and sustain a community of practice passionate about making learning better.
Since 2015, the TILT community has grown into an institution-wide community of practice facilitating, promoting and celebrating excellence in learning and teaching and a flourishing culture of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) at NTU.
As a member of the NTU community, you are automatically a member of TILT and can get involved in a variety of exciting ways, including:
- TILT-funded Practice and Scholarship Groups which are active across the university and the sector;
- Funding schemes that are awarded annually and on a competitive basis to staff;
- Vice-Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching (VCAET) which recognises, celebrates and promotes teaching excellence;
- Events, including the Annual Learning and Teaching Conference (ALTC) which showcases innovative practice on a specified theme;
- TILTOnline, curates online content addressing contemporary issues in learning and teaching through, for example, TILTPodcasts and TILTTalks; and,
- HEA Fellowships, learn about how participating in TILT activities can support your HEA fellowship application.
Supporting a dynamic and vibrant culture of SoTL at NTU, TILT funds Practice and Scholarship (P&S) Groups which are active across the university, and engage in developing an aspect of learning and teaching they are passionate about.
In addition, 121 TILT bursaries funding cutting-edge SoTL projects and 51 prestigious Vice-Chancellor Teaching Awards (VCTA) recognising and celebrating excellence in learning and teaching demonstrated by NTU staff have been awarded since 2015. These schemes run annually, and are open to all NTU staff involved in supporting and/or delivering learning and teaching.
All award types, and Practice and Scholarship Groups, result in scholarly outputs including internal and external seminars, practice-exchange and networking events, learning resources, conference presentations, and publications. These activities and outputs sustain and grow our rich culture of SoTL at NTU, inform learning and teaching NTU policy and practice, and contribute to national and international discussions around learning and teaching so that everyone, no matter their background, can succeed in Higher Education.
You may also be interested in
Find out how we're building our online community through TILTOnline and growing Scholarship of Teaching and Learning at NTU.
Vice-Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching
Find out how we're celebrating inspirational teaching with the Vice-Chancellor's Awards for Excellence in Teaching.
TILT Practice and Scholarship Groups
Find out about the goals of TILT Practice and Scholarship Groups, which are improving learning and teaching across NTU.
Scholarship Projects for Undergraduate Researchers (SPUR)
Learn about SPUR, our funded scheme offering NTU students a taste of collaborative academic research.
Find out about our TILT Seedcorn Fund – a funding scheme for projects with potential to grow and impact learning and teaching at NTU.
Annual Learning and Teaching Conference
Find out about the TILT Annual Learning and Teaching Conference (ALTC), an annual event which showcases innovative practice in learning and teaching.