What you'll study
Taught at NTU Mansfield, this course will require you to apply your learning to address current challenges of both enhancing sporting performance and physical activity in local contexts. You will analyse current data, and plan and deliver interventions to enhance both sporting performance physical activity in identified groups. The course is designed to support you, through gaining relevant experience, to develop your academic understanding, your discipline-specific practical skills and your transferable professional skills, and to allow you to showcase these to employers or providers of further study opportunities.
With an FdSc in Sport and Exercise Science, study for an extra year and you’ll get your BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science.
There are six modules in year one each worth 20 credits
- Professional and Academic Skills 1
- Physical Activity for Health
- Performance Analysis (Individual Sports)
- Coaching Theory and Practice
- Physiology, Training and Testing for Sport and Exercise
- Sport and Exercise Psychology 1
There are six modules in year two each worth 20 credits
- Professional and Academic Skills 2
- Training and Physical Activity Interventions for Sport and Health
- Performance Analysis
- Sport and Exercise Psychology 2
- Nutrition for Sport and Health
- Current Issues in Sport and Exercise
Careers and employability
Your future career
With an FdSc in Sport and Exercise Science, study for an extra year and you’ll get your BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science at NTU.
Graduates from this course are well-placed to take up a variety of careers within the sports industry and students can go straight into work after their foundation degree.
With an FdSc in Sport and Exercise Science you can start your career path towards roles such as Fitness Instructor, Sport coaches, instructors and officials, Sports Scientist or Sports Physiotherapist.
Excellent placement opportunities
The course includes a placement in both Year One and Year Two. You can develop your skills and experience in a working environment which is highly valued by future employers. Students can undertake placements in Participation, Physiology, Nutrition, Performance Analysis and Psychology with sports clubs such as Mansfield Town Football Academy.
Why undertake a placement?
- You will gain vital experience in a vocational position.
- It will boost your CV and build useful contacts for your future career.
- There are some exciting and challenging opportunities available
At NTU in Mansfield, our award-winning Employability team is here to inspire and enhance your career planning, whichever path you choose. Whether you wish to go on to further study or to look for job opportunities, we can guide you to be a successful candidate.
Further information on facilities
What are we looking for?
- A-levels – DDE, including Physical Education, Mathematics or a Science subject* and excluding Critical Thinking and General Studies; or
- BTEC Extended Diploma** – MPP, including relevant Physical Education, Mathematics or Science modules; or
- 64 UCAS Tariff points from three A-levels or equivalent qualifications, including a Physical Education, Mathematics or a Science subject and excluding Critical Thinking and General Studies; and
- GCSEs – English and Maths grade C/4.
You may also need to complete:
- a Prohibition Order check; and
- a satisfactory placement suitability check.
* We may accept Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Sport Studies or Psychology
** If you are applying with a BTEC Extended Certificate you may also need an A-level in Mathematics or a Science subject or equivalent.
NTU may admit a student with advanced standing beyond the beginning of a course, through an assessment of that student's prior learning, whether it is certificated or uncertificated. Our Recognition of Prior Learning and Credit Transfer Policy outlines the process and options available to these prospective students, such as recognising experiential learning or transferring to a similar course at another institution, otherwise known as credit transfer.
All prospective students who wish to apply via Recognition of Prior Learning should initially contact the central Admissions and Enquiries Team who will be able to support you through the process.
Other qualifications and experience
We may also consider credits achieved at other universities and your work/life experience through an assessment of prior learning. This may be for year one entry, or beyond the beginning of a course where applicable, for example, into year 2. Our Recognition of Prior Learning and Credit Transfer Policy outlines the process and options available for this route.
As well as assessing your application and qualifications, we use contextual data and information to make offers for this course. Depending on your circumstances, we may make you an offer up to two grades below the standard entry criteria. Find out how we assess your application.
Getting in touch
If you need any more help or information, please email our Admissions and Enquiries Team or call on +44 (0)115 848 4200.
How to apply
Ready to join us? Then apply as soon as you can. Just click the Apply button at the top of the page and follow the instructions for applying. Make sure you check the entry requirements above carefully before you do.
Keeping up to date
After you’ve applied, we’ll be sending you important emails throughout the application process so check your emails regularly, including your junk mail folder.
You can get more information and advice about applying to NTU on our Your Application page. Good luck with your application!
Getting in touch
If you need any more help or information, please call us on +44 (0)115 848 4200 or complete our enquiry form.
Please read our notes on the University's commitment to delivering the educational services advertised.
Fees and funding
Preparing for the financial side of student life is important, but there’s no need to feel anxious and confused about it. We hope that our fees and funding pages will answer all your questions.
Getting in touch
For more advice and guidance, you can contact our Student Financial Support Service.
Tel: +44 (0)115 848 2494