Skip to content

International and EU applicants: frequently asked questions

We are reviewing applications as normal and we’re here to support you in any way we can – whether you’re just starting with us or planning to apply in 2021. You’ll find answers to frequently asked questions from international and EU students on this page.

Last updated 19 October 2020

Boy with tablet

September 2020 students already studying online

We hope your studies are progressing smoothly and that you are enjoying the start of your course. We look forward to you joining us on campus as soon as you are able. There’s lots of advice on our website, including information about our virtual social activities:

Below are the most frequently asked questions from our September 2020 delayed starters.

I’ve already started my 2020 course online – I need to request a further delay to my arrival, what do I do?

To request a further delay to your start due to Covid-19 please complete the ASK NTU online form. Please make sure to complete the following fields as shown below:

  • Who are you? Select 'Applicant'
  • What is your query about? Select 'Delaying my arrival'
  • How can we help you? Provide details of the reason for your request in this box.

I have already arrived at NTU and now have symptoms of Covid-19. What should I do?

If you have symptoms of Covid-19 you must self-isolate and get tested as soon as is possible.  Please read our advice:

Your guide to self-isolating at NTU

I’ve already started my 2020 course online – can I get a shorter accommodation contract because of my delayed arrival?

If you have already signed a contract for accommodation you are unlikely to be able to change the start date, even if you are arriving late. If you haven't yet got accommodation booked, please contact Student Accommodation Services who will have a list of available rooms and may be able to offer a contract starting on a suitable date (these contracts run until summer 2021).

Trio at Nottingham

Applicants for January and September 2021

We’re reviewing applications for undergraduate and postgraduate courses as normal.

You may be waiting a little longer than usual for a decision from us. We thank you for your patience and we'll contact you as soon as we can.

You’ll find step-by-step advice for applying to the University and following up on your offer on our website:

Below, you’ll find answers to the most frequently asked questions relating to applications.

I’m thinking of applying in 2021. Who can I talk to for some advice?

We’re delighted you’re considering studying with us. You can get advice and information from our enquiries team here in the International Development Office (IDO) or from your NTU country representatives. You can also get dedicated support on all visa matters from our international student support team:

How do I apply?

For undergraduate courses you’ll need to apply through UCAS. For postgraduate courses you’ll need to apply through our applicant portal.

Do I need to provide all my documents when I apply?

No. We ask that you include as much detail as possible so we can make an informed decision and we understand you may not have your certificates yet. Your offer will include ‘conditions’ which can be removed when you’ve sent us your documents.

How long will it take to find out if I'm successful?

Usually within 10 working days, sometimes a little longer if we need further information or we need get your application assessed by an academic member of staff.

Is there a deadline to apply?

For undergraduate, UCAS have deadlines for international students, which is usually the end of June.

For postgraduate courses we don’t have a deadline but we strongly advise that you apply as early as you can. You'll need to plan carefully; including allowing yourself time to self-isolate when you arrive, if necessary.

What happens if I don’t meet the entry requirements?

Don’t worry, you have some options. You can apply to do a Foundation or Pre-Masters course at Nottingham Trent International College on our City campus. If it’s English you need to improve then you can apply for our online Pre-sessional English.

Can I still defer my Sept 2020 offer to a later start date?

Yes. You can still defer your offer to a later start date.

If your postgraduate course has a January 2021 option, you may choose to transfer your September offer to start in January 2021. You can request this by completing this online transfer form.

You can check the postgraduate courses starting in January 2021 on our website.

If you'd like to defer your offer until September 2021 you need to email with your NTU ID (this is your unique number given to you in your offer email), your course title and new start date and we can advise whether this is possible.

If you've applied for an undergraduate course through UCAS the situation is a little different. You can still defer for a limited amount of time if your offer is unconditional firm. You can request a UCAS deferral through completing this UCAS deferral form.

What happens if my results aren’t good enough to meet the conditions of my offer?

We have a well-established process in place to consider candidates who have not met the conditions of their offer once results are released.

Applicants who have missed the terms of their offer will not automatically be unsuccessful. We will look closely at the results, and consider any extenuating circumstances, before deciding.

How can I meet the English language requirements of my offer?

If you’ve taken an English language test and don’t meet the requirements of your offer, you could apply for our Pre-sessional English for Academic Purposes (PEAP) course. We are now delivering this course online.

Test centres are now opening again in many countries – make sure you check any availability in your country. If your test centre is still closed, here are some alternatives to IELTS that we accept:

Check the alternative language tests accepted by the University on our website – if you still have questions about your qualification please contact us.

Do you accept any online English language tests?

Yes – we’re providing a free online English language test to all our offer holders who are unable to attend a test centre in person. The test is delivered by Kaplan and is called Kaplan International Tools for English (KITE).

Results can be used for entry to our degrees and our pre-sessional English course.

To find out more and try a practice test, please visit

If you're an offer holder and would like to sign up for the test, please email

We also accept the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition which can be taken online in your own home in many countries around the world.

Does NTU offer online/distance learning postgraduate courses?

Yes. In addition to our postgraduate taught courses, we offer some online postgraduate degrees, including MBA and LLM.

You can find out more about these courses here:

I need to apply for an ATAS certificate, what do I do?

The ATAS application process is open as normal.

Please visit the ATAS website for up-to-date information on how to apply for a certificate.

Can I apply for study abroad or exchange programmes for 2021?

Yes. NTU will continue with all study abroad and exchange arrangements for both incoming and outgoing students where possible for academic year 2021-22.

Currently we do not know what travel restrictions may still be in force or to what extent the current constraints will have been eased or removed. So please note that your study abroad cannot go ahead without the approval of NTU and your home university.

We urge you to speak with your university’s exchange coordinator about what you need to consider when deciding whether to proceed with your study abroad plans.

NTU is here to support you so please do not hesitate to contact your NTU exchange coordinator if you have any questions and we will keep this page updated as soon as we have any further information.

View of Council House from behind the founntains in Nottingham's Old Market Square


You may experience travel delays or restrictions, due to Covid-19, which could result in you being late to arrive.

We’ve been doing everything we can to support students with these difficulties and will continue to do so for our students planning to arrive in January and September 2021.

You’ll find full advice and information about travelling to Nottingham on our website including information on our airport pick-up services:

Gill Street South external

Accommodation and self-isolation

You may need to self-isolate when you arrive in the UK.

We are supporting our students who need to self-isolate in their accommodation or in a hotel on arrival, you’ll find full details on our website:

Below, you’ll find answers to the most frequently asked questions about accommodation.

I’m applying for January 2021 – can I book my accommodation now?

Yes. Our accommodation fills up quickly so we recommend that you do this as early as you can after receiving an offer.

You can see the available accommodation and how to book on our website, and you can email for help and advice.

Can I get a refund of my accommodation deposit if I can't travel to the UK due to Covid-19?

If you’ve booked NTU accommodation (NTU and UPP halls of residence) please contact our accommodation services to explain the situation and they will advise you.

If you’ve booked with a private accommodation provider, please contact them first to explain the situation as your contract is with them. If you need legal advice or guidance, NTSU Information and Advice Service may be able to help.

How do I know if I’ll need to self-isolate when I arrive in the UK?

Please visit the UK government website which lists all the countries that do not require you to isolate when arriving in the UK.

If you are from a country that is not in this list (the ‘travel corridor’) you will be required to self-isolate when you arrive.

Please note that if you’ve visited or made a transit stop in a country not on this list in the 14 days before you arrive, you’ll also need to self-isolate.

It’s important to keep checking this information as it is likely to continue to change.

How long do I need to self-isolate for?

In most cases you would need to self-isolate for 2 weeks (14 days) upon arrival in the UK.

Please check the specific guidance on the UK government website. Your length of isolation period may be affected if, for example, you have recently visited a non-travel corridor country.

If you need advice on self-isolating please read the following guidance:

Your guide to self-isolating at NTU

Can I get a refund of my advanced payment if I can't travel to the UK due to Covid 19?

Yes. If you can't join us in January or September because of COVID-19, you'll be able to get a refund on anything you've paid towards your tuition fees, including the £3,000 advanced payment. Or, if you choose to defer your offer to the following year, we'll be able to carry over the payment.

Girl waterfront with bike

What to do when you arrive on campus

You’ll be very busy when you first arrive. You’ll find all the information and advice you need on our Starting at NTU website and information will also be emailed to you:

Below you’ll find answers to the most frequently asked questions about arriving on campus.

Where should I collect my BRP?

We will keep the Starting at NTU website updated as requirements for BRP collection may change. Currently, BRP collection is by appointment only, which must be arranged in advance.

Please check this information regularly before you arrive:

Do I need to register with the police when I arrive?

If you're on a course of more than 6 months, you may need to register with the police within 7 days of arriving in the UK as a condition of your visa.

I’m an EU student, can I still apply for the EU settlement scheme?

If you're living in the UK before 31 December 2020 you can apply for settled/pre-settled status in the UK under the EU settlement scheme.

The application is free of charge. The scheme enables you to continue to live, study and work in the UK beyond the transition period.

You are advised to make your application at the earliest opportunity. The deadline to apply is 30 June 2021, however, freedom of movement will end on 31 December 2020. Therefore, students who are going to remain in the UK after the transition period ends are advised to make their application before 31 December 2020 to ensure they continue to be able to travel freely after that date.

Please visit our website for more information for European students.

What happens if I become ill while I’m a student?  

All international students have access to NHS healthcare after paying the NHS healthcare surcharge.

When you arrive, you’re advised to register with a local medical practice on the City and Clifton campuses or Southwell Medical Practice (if you’re based at Brackenhurst). Currently, the student health centres are consulting patients by telephone, video chat or email.

You can find full details on staying healthy on our student hub:

If you have symptoms of Covid-19 during your time as a student you must self-isolate and get tested as soon as is possible.  Please read our advice:

Your guide to self-isolating at NTU

Laura, Katie and Stella

International enquiries team

If you can't find the answers to your questions here, just email our international enquiries team.

We're highly experienced in answering questions from international students.

Whatever your query, we'll be able to help you.

Still need help?

International Development Office
44 + (0) 115 848 8175