Sustainability Consultant for the Centre for Sustainable Construction and Retrofit at NTU School of Architecture, Design & the Built Environment.
Previous role was in the Sustainability in Enterprise (SiE) programme (ERDF-funded) at NTU. Current role is to provide consultancy with students for small to medium-sized businesses, giving bespoke specialist environmental sustainability advice to reduce their carbon footprint.
- Registered architect (NZ), 30+ years of experience in NZ and UK on commercial, education and civic projects. Sustainability consulting for architects and businesses in NZ and national specification company Masterspec. Primary focus is on upgrading, retrofitting and repurposing existing buildings for reduced carbon emissions. Materials researcher and non-toxic materials advocate - Living Future Award in 2015 for ground-breaking work in NZ on delivering the Living Building Challenge Materials Petal and Declare programme, while working on the first New Zealand Living Building Challenge building, Te Kura Whare.
- Director, Johansson Group NZ, Freelance Sustainability Consultant 2015-2022 NZ
Mentoring businesses in Living Building Challenge and low carbon building requirements and strategies. Biophilic design facilitation and workshops. Writing sustainable rating tool specifications for CIL Masterspec and undertaking materials research for clients regarding Living Building Challenge, Passive House, Green Star and Homestar rating tools criteria. Core strength is a deep understanding of low carbon non-toxic sustainable materials and construction.
- Senior Designer and Sustainability Consultant, Chow:Hill Architects, NZ, 2021-2022.
Hospital projects and project Requests for Proposals. Sustainability staff and business mentoring.
- Building Systems HPL Tutor, Unitec Institute of Technology · 2015-2020.
Interior Design and Building Systems Tutor, Sustainability Lecturer, Professional Practice course development.
- Building Control Lecturer and Course Manager, NZ Diploma of Building Surveying, Otago Polytechnic 2016 - 2020
National Building Surveying qualification (Level 6) for Building Control Officers to meet NZ building regulation and legislative requirements.
- Registered Architect / Associate / Design Technology Team, Jasmax Architects 2006-2015, Auckland NZ
Major project: Delivered the non-toxic low carbon Materials Petal for NZ's first Living Building Challenge-certified building (2011-2015).
- Childcare centre, Project Architect - Ministry of Education exemplar project 2006-2008. Hospital major redevelopment and new build, Site Architect, 2007-2009.
- Developed office master specification system, coordinated with Revit keynotes (2009).
- Director, yta architecture, sole trader, 1999-2007 Auckland, New Zealand
Early childhood centres, playcentres, new residential dwellings, residential alterations and small commercial fitouts.
- Graduate Architect
T.P. Bennett – London – office fitouts (1994-1996).
- Undergraduate Architect
Jasmax - NZ – Te Papa National Museum project (1991-94), Adamson Associates – London – One Canada Square project (1989-90), Manning Mitchell - NZ – Majestic Building project (1989)