Skip to content

Guide to NTU Accommodation

Living in University accommodation is an essential part of the student experience. It’s a great way to make new friends, be a part of NTU’s student community, and settle into your new life at University.

If this is your first time living in your own place, you’ll really want your accommodation to feel like a home from home. There are many options available, from NTU halls of residence to private halls and shared houses. Whatever your requirements, our accommodation guides will help you to find the option that’s right for you.

Undergraduate student accommodation

Choosing the right accommodation will help you to thrive at University. Here are the options available for undergraduate students at NTU.

Student and parent moving in

Halls of residence

We’ve specifically designed our halls of residence for student living. Whichever NTU residence you choose, you’ll have a shared kitchen-dining area equipped with a cooker, microwave, fridge freezer, kettle, toaster, iron and ironing board, and storage facilities. Unless of course you’ve booked a studio, in which case you’ll have your own kitchenette.

Typically, you’ll have your own study bedroom with a single bed, a wardrobe, a desk and a chair.

Each of our residences includes:

  • a range of security measures including CCTV, door entry systems and on-site or on-call security staff – your safety is our top priority
  • internet, heating, water and electricity bills paid for in your accommodation fees
  • free basic contents insurance, which you can easily “top-up” to cover your more expensive items.

If you are going to watch TV you may need a TV licence, for more information visit the TV Licensing website.

The en suite accommodation at Brackenhurst is very modern. You get your own shower pod and plenty of space. It’s very hi-tech – a bit like living in your own spaceship! I wanted to live on campus, with the convenience of almost rolling out of bed and into lectures: with 9 am starts, that makes life so much easier. And because there’s no one in my accommodation on the same course, it means I’ve made friends with a whole other group of people.

Elliot Martin - Brackenhurst Halls

You’ve got to be brave and make it your business to find out who people are, where they’re from, what course they’re doing – because you’re all in the same boat, aren’t you? Everyone’s new. Some great bonds and friendships come out of that, and I think it says a lot that I’m now living with five of the people I first met in Peverell.

Conor Tabreham - Peverell Halls, Clifton Campus

Each of our halls has its own unique feel, while still being at the heart of the NTU community. There’s a variety of different locations too, so whether you prefer to be in the middle of campus or somewhere a little quieter, we’ve got you covered.

Browse our accommodation below to get a real feel for the right residence for you.

When you’ve narrowed down your choice, you can find out more about how to apply on our booking page.

Private accommodation

As an NTU undergraduate student, you might choose to live in private accommodation instead of in one of our halls of residence.

NTU can help you to secure this type of accommodation. You can find out more on our Guide to Private Accommodation page.

Postgraduate and mature student accommodation

We know that as a postgraduate or mature student your needs are different to our undergraduate students, but choosing the right place to live is just as important. That’s why we have alternative accommodation options to suit you.

Postgraduate students in kitchen

Postgraduate and mature student flats

We realise that you might appreciate living with other students in the same situation as you. So many of our residences have some flats that are especially for postgraduate or mature students. When you browse our accommodation, select the filter ‘suitable for postgraduate / mature students’ to find out which halls may be suitable for your requirement.

Studio flats

We also offer some studio flats – self-contained rooms with an en suite bathroom, small kitchen and sitting area as well as a bed, desk and storage. Studios are available in Gill Street North on the City Campus and New Hall on the Clifton Campus.

Find out how to book our accommodation for postgraduate or mature students on our booking page.

Private accommodation

As an NTU postgraduate student, you might choose to live in private accommodation instead of our halls of residence.

NTU can help you to secure this type of accommodation. You can find out more on our Guide to Private Accommodation page.

Mansfield accommodation

NTU will soon have two properties to offer Mansfield students – one six bed property (shared) and one four bed property (studio flats). Until these properties are confirmed these will not be available to book online. In the meantime, if you would like to register your interest or find out more information, please fill out our form here.

If you’re going to be studying in Mansfield – 14 miles north of Nottingham – we offer both NTU and privately owned accommodation in shared houses, through our partner accommodation provider Purseglove Property.

Set less than two miles from the campus, each property includes kitchen facilities, a living room, bookshelves, and a washing machine and tumble dryer.

We offer a range of options to suit all budgets including studio flat, en suite or shared bathroom (with shower) accommodation. All properties include Wi-Fi, utilities, communal area cleaning, and garden maintenance within the cost.

Find out how to book our accommodation in Mansfield on our booking page.

Flexible accommodation and January starters

We offer short-term contracts for full-time enrolled NTU students on non-standard courses, such as part-year exchange courses, students studying for one semester, Pre-sessional English for Academic Purpose courses and, Postgraduate starting in January.

All flexible contracts are for en suite rooms on the third floor of our Sandby residence

Contract typeFixed contract datesCostDepositPayment
Semester 1a16/09/2022 - 07/01/2023£2,714.34 per semester£200Due in full immediately to confirm booking
Semester 1b16/09/2022 - 27/01/2023£3,053.86 per semester£200Due in full immediately to confirm booking
Semester 2a11/01/2022 - 02/06/2023£3,258.97 per semester£200Due in full immediately to confirm booking
Semester 2b29/01/2023 - 02/06/2023£2,848.75 per semester£200Due in full immediately to confirm booking
51 week (January 2023)14/01/2023 – 05/01/2024£7,504.14 per year£200£2,501.38 for Term One due immediately to confirm booking

We hope to start taking bookings from Monday 11 April 2022 please email Student Accommodation.

We can only offer you a room if you have a firm offer with NTU and have been provided with an NTU ID number.

We have a limited number of each type of room. Room allocation will be done on a first-come, first-served basis. If these contracts are not suitable, or if our allocation becomes full, then we will offer you support and guidance in finding alternative accommodation.

Booking process once live:

  1. Email Student Accommodation with NTU ID and contract preference
  2. Subject to availability, Accommodation will send you the booking contract and instructions
  3. Pay the deposit, and term fees upfront (within the deadline given)
  4. Read, sign, and return contract and terms and conditions (within the deadline given)
  5. If applying for a January 51-week contract, in addition to the above, you must set up a payment plan for Term Two and Three payments before arrival


Do I need a guarantor?

No guarantor is needed to book our flexible contract rooms. You will, however, need to make payment for the booking deposit and the rent upfront to confirm your booking.

What if I need to cancel?

Please review our cancellation policy.

Can I change the contract dates?

The contract dates are fixed so we cannot change these.

I would like a flexible contract in another residence?

We can only offer flexible contracts in Sandby residence, all of our other residences are either 44-week or 51-week contracts.

What if I am still waiting for an offer from NTU?

We ask that you contact us again once you have made NTU your firm choice and have received your NTU ID number and we will advise on availability.

Summer accommodation

Gill Street South Bedroom

Whether you are coming to Nottingham to visit friends or attend an event, we can offer you a place to stay at a very reasonable rate.

We will be offering summer accommodation to for NTU students from Friday 22 July 2022 up to Friday 9 September 2022. Students who wish to stay at our City or Clifton campus can now book summer accommodation online here.  If you wish to book accommodation for our Brackenhurst Campus, please email us directly to submit your request.

Find more information regarding the residences available below.

*Unfortunately we are unable to offer summer bookings in any other halls. Rooms are limited and subject to availability. Please note that bedding is not included so you will have to supply your own.

ResidenceCampusDistance to City CentreRoom typeParkingStudent price per night
Gill Street SouthCity0 milesEn-suiteNo£18.56
The MaltingsCity (Outlying)2.4 milesShared bathroomYes£17.26
New HallClifton 4.2 milesEn-suiteNo£18.56
Brackenhurst Brackenhurst14 milesEn-suiteNo£18.56

Coming to Nottingham to visit friends or attend an event? We also offer accommodation during the summer to external guests outside of NTU. If you would like to make an enquiry, please email us, or call us on +44 (0)115 848 2894.

Accessible accommodation

If you need specific accommodation because of a disability or medical requirement, we offer a range of accessible accommodation at our City, Clifton and Brackenhurst campuses.

You can find detailed accessibility information for each of our halls on our dedicated Accessibility in Halls page, including guidance on living in halls with a range of access needs.

Booking a room

If you have mobility, hearing, or visual impairments, or multiple conditions, our booking system will notify us to contact you – this is because we have specifically adapted rooms that may meet your needs with features such as:

  • flashing lights or other alert devices for hearing los
  • accessible en-suite wet rooms
  • power-assisted doors
  • adjustable furniture / hoists in the bedroom
  • adapted features in the kitchen
  • decorative features to add contrast to assist those with visual impairment

If you don’t need an adapted room, you can book your accommodation online. But do contact us if you want to discuss what options are available or if you have any other specific requirements. The types of requests we might be able to accommodate include:

  • prioritising specific types of accommodation due to a health condition or disability
  • making the residence management aware of your condition
  • advice on disabled parking
  • additional equipment in your accommodation, such as a mini fridge for storing medication

You may need to provide medical evidence in order for us to process such requests, so you may wish to consider preparing this in advance of booking accommodation. In some cases, you could be required to apply for items through other means such as the Disabled Student’s Allowance.

Accommodation for personal carers

If you have a condition that requires daily or 24-hour personal care, we can provide a room for your personal carer under the same terms and conditions as other residents. You will need to ensure the cost of the carer’s room can be met.

Returning students

You are eligible to book University-sourced halls of residence for your subsequent years at NTU if your disability means you would be disadvantaged if you could not access suitable private accommodation.

Any offers are subject to suitable accommodation being available. The booking payment is required for each booking, including those made in subsequent years.

Registered students who meet the above criteria and are currently living in halls of residence will automatically be invited to rebook accommodation from January.

Once we have allocated all students with additional requirements, any remaining adapted rooms will be allocated to the next student requesting accommodation.

Please ensure you visit the NTU Disabilities Services Team web pages to find out more about the support available to you.

Support for students living in NTU Halls

Our Student Accommodation Support Officers are based in the halls of residence and are here to help you. They can offer a range of support including having issues with your flat or your room, if you are struggling to settle, if you're feeling lonely, worried about studies and lots more.

If you require any support please contact the team and they will be able to assist.

Homestay accommodation

We are not currently taking bookings for Homestay residents. We'll update this page when more become available.

Homestay accommodation is another option open to any undergraduate or postgraduate student at NTU and is very popular with international students.

We’ll place you with a host family where you’ll have your own room and access to other facilities in the house.

Two meals will be provided on weekdays, with three meals a day at weekends, and you’ll agree the length of stay before you move in. A short termination period of just one week means you won’t be tied into a lengthy contract*. This makes homestay an excellent option for many ERASMUS students, exchange students and students who might want the flexibility to change plans at short notice.

Homestay accommodation costs £140 a week for a catered service, with a £100 administration charge when we’ve found you a room. Payment will be made to the host directly and NTU will have no part in the collection of rent. Properties are located around Nottingham and the surrounding area.

If you’re a landlord wishing to register with NTU to become a host you’ll need to fill out the host application form.

* A minimum booking for one academic term is required.

Essential information

Entering into a contract for accommodation is an important decision so please make sure you read the contract carefully and ask us if you have any questions.

Cancellation policy

If you’re a new student, you’ll be allowed to cancel this Licence Agreement without having to pay any rent, provided that you complete the cancellation form and you:

  • don’t get the grades to attend NTU
  • or you notify at least 21 days before the start of the licence period

If you’re a returning student, you’ll be allowed to cancel this Licence Agreement without having to pay any rent, provided that you notify Student Accommodation Services directly by email within 7 days of the acceptance of the Terms and Conditions.

After this 7 day cooling off period returning students become financially liable for the contract. There is no cooling off period for returning students in the 21 days before the contract starts.

Once any cooling off period has passed, returning students can request to cancel, however they will again remain financially liable until a replacement booking is made for the accommodation.


What does University-allocated accommodation mean?

This accommodation includes halls of residence that are owned by the University, halls of residence run by our partner providers or private companies, and accredited shared housing.

When do accommodation bookings open?

Our online accommodation booking system opens on Wednesday 30 March 2022. If you are a new student who has firmly accepted your offer to study with NTU, you can apply for accommodation from this date.

What is the deposit for, and will I get this back?

The £200 deposit is used to secure your booking and will be refunded at the end of your tenancy agreement provided that there are no damages or outstanding rent.

If I cancel my accommodation booking, will I get my deposit back?

If you don’t meet the conditions of your offer at NTU, you are no longer attending the University or you need to cancel your accommodation Licence Agreement, you can request this without being liable for the payment of rent. You will need to contact us in writing 21 days before your contract starts to request this cancellation.

Once we confirm that we have cancelled your accommodation prior to the start of your tenancy, your deposit will be refunded.

Any requests to cancel that are received less than 21 days before the start of your tenancy will be assessed on a case by case basis.

Can I still apply for accommodation if I deferred my place?

If you deferred from 2021/22 to 2022/23 entry you are still eligible for accommodation. If you didn't enrol for the 2021/22 year the system should recognise you as a new first year student and allow you to book as normal. If you deferred your entry later the system may not recognise you as a first year student and you may experience issues logging in.

If you are experiencing problems or have any questions please get in touch with our accommodation team.

What is your allocation process?

Our booking system is self-allocated. You log in with your student ID and it will recognise your age and level of study and show you suitable accommodation.

Please note the University holds back certain rooms across our portfolio to ensure we can offer a fully inclusive mix to all students wishing to book accommodation.

Will I be guaranteed accommodation?

All new UK Undergraduate students and students currently studying at NTIC are guaranteed an offer of NTU-allocated accommodation* if they request accommodation by Monday 13 June 2022. All new international undergraduate students are guaranteed an offer of NTU-allocated accommodation if they request accommodation by Friday 29 July 2022.

*NTU allocated accommodation may include NTU owned and managed accommodation, UPP accommodation or accommodation with an ANUK accredited third party private provider of purpose built student accommodation working in conjunction with NTU.

Learn more about our accommodation options

If you need any help or advice with booking your accommodation, please get in touch with the Accommodation team on +44 (0)115 848 2894 or via email and we'll be more than happy to assist you.