Accommodation guide

You’ve decided which university you’d like to go to, and which course you want to do, now the next big thing to consider is – where will you live?

Gill Street South Kitchen
Gill Street South Kitchen
It's right in the city centre but far enough away not to get the noise.

Gill Street South resident

Here at NTU, we know that going to university is a really exciting time, but it’s also a big change. For many of you, this will be your first experience of living in your own place – and you’ll really want your accommodation to feel like a home from home.

We think living in university accommodation is an essential part of the student experience. It’s a perfect way to settle in, have a great social life, and make friends for life.

Gill Street South external

What's so great about NTU accommodation?

Here are just some of the great reasons to live in one of our residences.

We  guarantee accommodation to all new students.

If you’re a new student at NTU, you can relax because we’ll definitely offer you a place in one of our university-allocated residences – as long as you book before 31 July. This could be in a University-owned hall of residence, a hall of residence run by our partner providers or private companies, or accredited shared housing.

You’ll live in a great student community.

If you’re living away from home for the first time, you don’t want to go it alone. Settling in and making friends are essential first steps to take when you arrive at university, and living in one of our residences is an ideal way to do this.

Your home will be in a great location on or near to one of our Campuses, so you’ll never be too far away from all the action. There’s always plenty going on in your residence, too – each has Residence Assistants to help you settle in and Hall Committees to plan activities and events.

It has excellent security.

For your peace of mind, all of our residences feature a range of security measures including CCTV, door entry systems and on-site or on-call security staff.

You’ll have free Wi-Fi.

Whichever of our residences you live in, you’ll have free Wi-Fi.

There’s no need to worry about bills.

Your heating, water and electricity bills are all included in your residence fees, so you won’t have any extra bills to pay. Your room will be centrally-heated and you’ll have a constant supply of hot water. You’ll even get free basic contents insurance covering a range of belongings, which you can easily “top-up” to cover your more expensive items.

There’s a residence for you.

Whatever’s most important to you, there’s a residence to suit your needs and preferences, with a mixture of studios and cluster flats with either ensuite or shared facilities. Looking for a real community feel? Why not choose a residence with a common room? What about if you have a disability or special needs? You can rest assured that our team of dedicated accommodation advisors will work closely with you and with the University’s Student Support Services to make sure you get the right room and support.

Living in halls made it so much easier to make friends - the bunch I've lived with this past year are some of my closest friends.

Simpsons resident

Take a look around...

Start by watching a video overview of our accommodation.

  • Then take some time to browse our accommodation to get a real feel for each of our residences and see which might be a good choice for you.
  • You might also find it helpful to use our comparison chart in our 2018/19 accommodation guide to see how each of our residences measure up against each other.
The whole moving-in process from start to finish in every detail was made to be as smooth as possible. What can already be stressful time was made as easy and straightforward as possible. It's very hard to see how it could have been made any better.

Parent of newly arriving student

How to book your accommodation

  • Step 1 - Browse our accommodation.

    Browse our accommodation pages to find out all about the different residences and to see images and videos.

  • Step 2 - Make a short list of your favourites.

    It’s a good idea to pick out a few different options as our most popular residences get booked up quickly.

  • Step 3 - Book online.

    You can book your accommodation two working days  after you've firmly accepted your offer with us.

    All offer holders: Book from Monday 22 January 2018.

    Choose the residence, flat and room you like using our online booking system.

    When you’re happy with your choice, check all the details, then click ‘Pay’. When you make your booking you’ll be required to pay a  non-refundable £200 booking fee. You can find out more information about this booking fee, and our cancellation policy, below.

  • Step 4 - Accept your accommodation and set up your payments.

    To complete your booking you’ll need to accept our terms and conditions and set up a payment plan. You’ll either do this when you book if you have an unconditional offer, or when you get your results if your offer is conditional. Find out more about this in the Important information section below.

  • Step 5 - Move in!

    You’ll be able to move into your accommodation from September 2018.

    You’ll receive more detailed arrival information when you’re completing your booking and by email and our accommodation welcome site in the weeks before your arrival.

Please remember that when you book your accommodation and accept our terms and conditions, you’re entering into a legally-binding contract. Make sure you read our cancellation policy fully before you book. You’ll find this below.

Your accommodation to-do list

Don’t forget to check your email regularly over the summer, including your junk mail, as we’ll be contacting you about your booking.

Gill Street South bedroom

What's included and what to bring

Our accommodation is especially designed for student living, and a lot of things are taken care of for you, such as kitchen appliances, insurance, and bills.

Whichever NTU residence you live in, you’ll have a shared kitchen-dining area equipped with a cooker, microwave, fridge freezer, kettle, toaster, iron and ironing board, and storage facilities. Unless of course you’ve booked a studio, in which case you’ll have your own kitchenette.

Typically you’ll  have your own study bedroom with a single bed, a wardrobe, a desk or work surface, and a chair.

Some things you’ll need to bring with you are:

  • pots and pans
  • crockery and cutlery
  • cooking utensils
  • duvet, sheets, pillows etc.

If you decide to bring a TV, please note that you’ll need to buy a TV licence.

Please check your Residence Handbook for more details.

Life in halls

  • Student Residence Assistants (RAs)

    NTU’s RAs are usually second year, third year or postgraduate students who already understand what it’s like to move into a new place with new people at NTU.

    They’ll be available every night and all weekend to talk through any issues you’re facing and give you support and advice. They’ll help create a sense of community, and deal with any antisocial behaviour. They’ll also help to organise events and activities in halls, which is a great way for you to make new friends.

    In return for their work, RAs receive 50% off their rent in NTU accommodation. They also get full training and support throughout the year – not to mention some great experience to add to their CV.

    Please visit this webpage, to find out more information on the Universities Residence Assistant Programme and how to apply.

  • Halls Committees

    Chosen in the first few weeks of the autumn term, Halls Committees work closely with the RAs, the Students’ Union, and hall staff, to help you have a great social life! They represent you, listening to what you want, and then planning memorable activities and events.

    If you’d like to know more about how to get involved in your Hall Committee, please visit our Hall Reps webpage.

  • Wardens

    There’ll also be a Warden in your accommodation to deal with any emergency pastoral issues and to manage the University’s Student Code of Behaviour within your residence.

Nottingham Trent students in residence kitchen

About your booking

  • Your booking fee

    If you accept our offer of accommodation, your non-refundable booking fee will become your deposit against damage and will be returned to you at the end of the agreement, subject to a satisfactory accommodation inspection.

    Conditional offers: If you hold a conditional offer which you don’t meet and you therefore don’t join NTU, we’ll give you a full refund. If you meet your offer of a place at NTU, but decide not to take up the accommodation, we won’t be able to refund the booking fee.

    Unconditional offers: If you hold an unconditional offer and you don’t take up the accommodation we offer you, we won’t be able to refund your booking fee.

    Reapplying: Please be aware that your accommodation booking is based on the current course offer that you hold. If you do not get the grades to take up your conditional offer, your accommodation will be cancelled and we’ll refund your booking fee.

    This means that, if you apply to NTU again through Clearing, you may need to reapply for accommodation. In this case, please contact us as soon as possible so that we can help you.

  • Accepting your accommodation

    If you have a conditional offer: When you get your exam results and your place at NTU is confirmed, we’ll email you to ask you to log in and finalise  your accommodation booking. You’ll need to do this within seven days, otherwise we’ll have to cancel your booking.

    Make sure you check your emails regularly, and add to your safe-senders list.

    You’ll need to read and accept our terms and conditions, and cancellation policy, then set up payment arrangements to cover your residence fees. Make sure you print out your booking confirmation as it includes useful information about picking up your keys and moving in.

    If you have an unconditional offer when you book: you’ll need to complete the booking process in full within 48 hours, otherwise we’ll have to cancel your booking. You’ll need to read and accept the terms and conditions and cancellation policy, then set up payment arrangements to cover your residence fees. Make sure you print off your booking confirmation as it includes useful information about picking up your keys and moving in.

  • Payment plans

    When you set up your payment plan, you’ll have the option of either paying your residence fees upfront or paying in instalments.

    Dates are to be confirmed for instalments.

    Don’t worry if you don’t have your student bank account details yet. You can use an alternative account to set up your payment plan, and then contact our Finance Department during Welcome Week to update your account details.

What if I'm...

  • .... an international student?

    We can guarantee you accommodation

    If you’re an international student at Nottingham Trent University, we can guarantee you a place in University-allocated accommodation if you have:

    • accepted a place on a full-time course
    • made us your first choice of university
    • paid your £200 deposit by the 31 July.

    You can choose to stay in any of our residences, although Sandby residence on the City site is particularly popular with international students.

    Booking your accommodation

    Contracts for NTU halls of residence run throughout the academic year and include the Christmas and Easter holidays. To reserve your place, you must have enough money to book your accommodation online, using a credit or debit card. If you don't have these you can pay by bank transfer, but you need to contact Student Accommodation Services in advance to do this.

    Be aware that you won’t be able to open a bank account until you actually arrive in the UK and the transfer of money may take a few weeks.

    If you would like to see examples of our residences and their features, you can browse the accommodation available. All of our rooms are intended to be occupied by the student only.

    But please don’t worry…

    If you can’t accept your place yet or pay your deposit by the deadline, please don't worry. There’s plenty of other accommodation to be found in Nottingham and we can help you with this.

    Here are some other popular options for international students:

    • Private accommodation

    Nottingham has plenty of private rented accommodation available. If you have family staying with you during your studies, this can be a good option. The University has its own lettings agency, Trent Lets, which offers accommodation and advice. You can find out more about this on our Private sector accommodation pages.

    • Homestay

    If you’re looking for short-term accommodation, you might be interested in our flexible Homestay option. We’ll place you with a host family where you’ll have your own room and access to other facilities in the house.

    There are catered or self-catered options and you’ll agree the length of stay before you move in. Also, a short termination period of one week will mean you won’t be bound by a lengthy contract. This makes Homestay an excellent option for many ERASMUS students, Exchange students and students who are looking for a more flexible option than staying in halls of residence.

    The costs of Homestay accommodation are as follows:

    • Catered Service - £120 per week
    • Self-catered Service – £85 per week

    You’ll pay a £100 administration charge to NTU once a room has been allocated to you.

    The catered service means that the host family will provide you with breakfast and dinner seven days a week and also with a lunch on a Saturday and Sunday. Under the self-catered service the host will allow you to use the kitchen facilities to prepare your own meals.

    If you’d like to stay in Homestay accommodation, please fill out an application form. This will then be submitted to the Accommodation Team. Once processed, they’ll contact you directly.

    If you’re a landlord wishing to register with NTU to become a host you’ll need to fill out the host application form.


  • ... a mature or postgraduate student?

    If you’re a postgraduate or mature student, you may be looking for something a little different to our younger undergraduate students.

    Maybe one of these options would be more suitable for you?

    A dedicated flat for postgraduate and mature students
    We realise that you might appreciate living with other students in the same situation as you. So many of our residences have some flats which are especially for postgraduate or mature students. When you browse our accommodation the key will tell you if a residence has rooms suitable for you.

    A studio flat
    We also have some studio flats – self-contained rooms with a small kitchen and sitting area as well as a bed, desk and storage. Studios are available in Gill Street North on the City site and New Hall on the Clifton campus.

    Private sector housing

    You may even prefer to live in private sector housing – if you have a family, or  require a  non-standard contract, for example. We work closely with landlords to ensure our recommended houses offer a safe and secure alternative to halls. The University also has its own lettings agency, Trent Lets, which offers accommodation and advice. You can find out more on our Private sector housing pages.


    If you’re looking for short-term accommodation, our flexible homestay option might be the best option for you. You’ll be placed with a host family and given your own room and access to other facilities in the house. There are catered or self-catered options and contracts are on a weekly basis giving you flexibility to stay as long as you need.

    The costs of Homestay accommodation are as follows:

    • Catered Service – £120 per week
    • Self-catered Service - £85 per week

    You’ll pay a £100 administration charge to NTU once a room has been allocated to you.

    The catered service means that the host family will provide you with breakfast and dinner seven days a week and also with a lunch on a Saturday and Sunday. Under the self-catered service the host will allow you to use the kitchen facilities to prepare your own meals.

    If you’d like to stay in Homestay accommodation, please fill out an application form.This will then be submitted to the accommodation team. Once processed, they’ll contact you directly.

    If you’re a landlord wishing to register with NTU to become a host you’ll need to fill out the host application form.

Blenheim external

What if I want to cancel my accommodation?

Please be aware that by making an accommodation booking and accepting the terms and conditions, you’re entering into a legally binding agreement. Entering into any legally binding contract shouldn’t be taken lightly and your accommodation contract is no different. It’s important that you fully understand the implications of accepting an agreement with us.

Even if you leave the accommodation or indeed the University early, you’ll remain liable for payment of the specified rent for the full term of the licence – either 44 or 51 weeks.

Think carefully about whether student communal living is for you before accepting the terms and conditions. Bear in mind that university accommodation is likely to be noisier than home.

Cancelling your agreement

We’ll permit you to cancel this Licence Agreement, without being liable for the payment of rent, provided that you:

  • don’t take up the study place offered at the University
  • notify Student Accommodation Services that you won’t be studying at NTU directly, by email, at least 21 days before your contract starts.

If you’re a returning student, you’ll be allowed to cancel this Licence Agreement, without having to pay any rent, provided that you notify Student Accommodation Services directly by email that you wish to cancel your accommodation booking and that this notification is received by Student Accommodation Services by the sooner of:

  • 28 days after the acceptance of the Terms and Conditions set out in this Licence Agreement
  • at least 21 days before the start of the Licence Period.

After the specified deadline this "no-penalty cancellation" option won’t be available, and you’ll be legally bound by the terms and conditions of your accommodation agreement.

You may transfer your liability, however, if a suitable replacement for your room is found, under agreement with Student Accommodation Services.

  • FAQs

    When can I apply for accommodation?

    If you choose NTU as your first choice, you'll be sent your NTU ID number. You'll need this to access the online booking system.

    • The booking system will open for all offer holders from Monday 22 January 2018.

    What is my NTU ID number and how do I get it?

    This is your student ID number which you will keep throughout your time at NTU. It will be eight characters and start with N, for example N1234567. You will receive an email shortly before the accommodation booking system opens in February, informing you of your N number. Check your inbox and spam folder for the email. If you definitely have not received the email, please email us with your full name, date of birth and UCAS number.

    You’re my insurance choice. How do I book my accommodation?

    Due to the high number of applications we receive, only applicants who have accepted us as their first choice of university (your firm acceptance choice) can apply for accommodation. If we’re your insurance choice and your offer is confirmed after you get your results, we’ll contact you to arrange suitable accommodation.

    I’m having problems logging in.

    Please check that you’re entering your NTU ID and password correctly. If you’ve forgotten your password, you can reset it. If you’re still having problems, please contact us.

    Can I have a look around the accommodation before I book?

    If you attend an open day, you’ll be able to have a look at some of the accommodation available. Unfortunately, we can’t arrange individual viewings outside of open days. The video in the Take a look around section above will give you an idea of the accommodation available. You can also view videos and 360° images of our residences in the browse accommodation section.

    Do you allocate accommodation to students according to their course?

    We don’t specify which residences students on particular courses are allowed to book. However, we’d advise you to pick a residence that’s recommended for your campus.

    What if I am applying to a course which requires me to attend an interview after booking opens?

    Don’t worry – we haven’t forgotten you. For those students applying to courses which require an interview, we hold back a selection of rooms across all of our campuses, so you won’t lose out and will still be able to book your accommodation with us online once you’ve had your interview and accept your offer.

    Can I choose where I’ll be living?

    Yes, our online booking system allows you to book your exact room. This means that you not only select your residence, but you also get to see where your room’s located within your flat, which block it’s in and what floor it’s on.

    Will I have to vacate my room during the Easter and Christmas holidays?

    No, University contracts are for either 44 weeks or 51 weeks and cover the whole academic year.

    Is free travel provided for students who don’t live near the City site or Clifton campus?

    Free travel is provided in some NTU residences. Please check the details of residences that are outside the city centre to see if free travel is included. Most residences that are outside the city centre are close to public transport links.

    Will I get my first choice of accommodation?

    We recommend that you apply as early as possible to increase the chance of getting a place in the residence that you’d like. It’s a good idea to make a shortlist of residences that you like so that so that you can book an alternative residence if your first choice is fully booked.

    Will I have to share accommodation?

    Most of our residences offer single bedrooms. However, there are a few twin-bedded rooms available at some residences. We don’t have any double rooms.

    Is accommodation provided for families?

    All of our accommodation is designed for single people. If you need family accommodation, we can give you advice and information on renting in the private sector.

    What if I have a disability or need an accessible room?

    If you have a disability, or need special consideration because of a medical condition or exceptional circumstances, we can help. We offer a number of accessible rooms with features to help you with a range of requirements.

    When you browse our accommodation, the key will show you if a residence has accessible rooms suitable for disabled students.

    If you have a disability or special requirement that’s relevant to your accommodation, please contact the University’s Student Support Services. We’ll then work with you and the Student Support Services team to find you the most suitable room.

    If you’re a disabled student who needs personal full-time assistance, we can also offer residential accommodation for your helper. We may ask you for supporting information from your doctor before allocating you an accessible room.

    Can I smoke in my room?

    Smoking in public places has been illegal since 1 July 2007 and is strictly forbidden in all University residences.

    Is there a cleaner?

    You’ll need to keep your own bedroom and the shared kitchen-dining room clean, but in most halls communal areas are cleaned by housekeeping staff.

    You should also leave your accommodation in a good condition when you leave in order to get your deposit back.

    Can I bring my car?

    Parking at city centre residences isn’t available, but some of our other residences do have car parking available. Look out for the special parking icon. Spaces are limited, though, and you’ll need to buy a permit from the residence manager.

    Please note though that Nottingham has an excellent bus and tram system with discounted fares for students.

    What about insurance?

    All our accommodation includes basic personal belongings insurance cover through Endsleigh Insurance. You’ll be able to log in to their website to view your insurance policy.

    Laptops, tablets and phones aren’t covered outside of your room, so you may wish to consider taking out additional cover to protect these gadgets and other possessions. Endsleigh offers a 24-hour* laptop and phone replacement promise and is the only insurance provider recommended by NUS.

    *24 hours represents one working day from Endsleigh approving your claim.

    For claims information, or to extend your policy, visit the Endsleigh website.

    The insurance certificates for the 2015/16 academic year are available now. Please download the relevant document for your records. All claims will be handled directly by Endsleigh.

    Where can I stay if I’m visiting Nottingham?

    View information on Hotels, hostels and bed and breakfasts.

    Where can I find a copy of terms and conditions?

    View the Terms and Conditions 2016 / 17.

    View the Terms and Conditions 2017/18.

    Once I’ve booked accommodation, how do I change the bank account that the accommodation fees will be taken from?

    If you need to change the bank account that you’ve nominated your accommodation fees to be taken from, please contact our Finance Team by telephone on +44 (0)115 848 6500.

    What do I do if I have a complaint?

    Please put any complaints in writing. This can make it easier for us to understand your concerns. Student Accommodation Services will respond within five working days. We’ll try to reply fully, but if this isn’t possible, we’ll at least send you an acknowledgement. Within ten working days, Student Accommodation Services will have investigated your complaint and sent a response. If you don’t feel that the situation has been resolved, please contact the Head of Student Accommodation Services.

    View our full Complaints Procedure .

Accommodation guide

Published on 22 January 2018

Still need help?

Student Accommodation Services
+ 44 (0) 115 848 2894
National Code logo