Postgraduate and mature students

As a postgraduate or mature student you may be looking for something a little different to our younger undergraduate students. Maybe one of these options would be more suitable for you?

Postgraduate and mature student accommodation

We know that as a postgraduate or mature student your needs are different, but choosing the right place to live is just as important. That’s why we have alternative accommodation options to suit you.

Postgraduate and mature student flats

We realise that you might appreciate living with other students in the same situation as you. So many of our residences have some flats which are especially for postgraduate or mature students. When you browse our accommodation the key (21+) will tell you if a residence has rooms suitable for you.

A studio flat

We also have some studio flats – self-contained rooms with a small kitchen and sitting area as well as a bed, desk and storage. Studios are available in Gill Street North on the City Campus and New Hall on the Clifton Campus.

Private sector housing

You may even prefer to live in private sector housing – if you have a family, or  require a  non-standard contract, for example. We work closely with landlords to ensure our recommended houses offer a safe and secure alternative to halls. The University also has its own lettings agency, Trent Lets, which offers accommodation and advice. You can find out more on our Private sector housing pages.


If you’re looking for short-term accommodation, our flexible homestay option might be the best option for you. You’ll be placed with a host family and given your own room and access to other facilities in the house. There are catered or self-catered options and contracts are on a weekly basis giving you flexibility to stay as long as you need.

The costs of Homestay accommodation are as follows:

  • Catered Service – £120 per week
  • Self-catered Service - £85 per week

You’ll pay a £100 administration charge to NTU once a room has been allocated to you.

The catered service means that the host family will provide you with breakfast and dinner seven days a week and also with a lunch on a Saturday and Sunday. Under the self-catered service the host will allow you to use the kitchen facilities to prepare your own meals.

If you’d like to stay in Homestay accommodation, please fill out an application form.This will then be submitted to the accommodation team. Once processed, they’ll contact you directly.

If you’re a landlord wishing to register with NTU to become a host you’ll need to fill out the host application form.

Still need help?

+44 (0)115 941 8418