Lecturer in Electrical & Electronic Engineering
Dr Mehdi Zeinali received his MSc degree in wireless communication engineering from Lund University, Lund, Sweden. From September 2014 to 2020, he worked as a research associate and PhD student at the University of Edinburgh. Recently he joined as a member of academic staff to the Nottingham Trent University (NTU).
My main research interests are
- Wireless communications
- Coding theory
- Wireless sensor networks
- Smart Grid communications
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Physical Cyber Security (CPS)
Now I am investigating architecture, technologies, requirements, challenges, and proposed solutions of internet-based smart grid communications.
ACHIEVEMENTS AND AWARDS
- Successful Research Funding:
- European Marie Curie Research Fellowship (ADVANTAGE (Signal Processing and Communications for Smart Grid) Project) (2014-2017)
- We won the Times Higher Education (THE) Award for "Outstanding Library Team" for working in uCreat Studio 2019/2020
- UK Government (Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy) project "Quickturn" (Demand-Side Management research) Research Funding (Shortlisted for The Energy Award 2019) (2018-2020)
- UK - India Education & Research Initiative funding for Data-Driven Intelligent Energy Management for Environmentally Sustainable Energy Access (D-DIEM) project (2017-2020)
- European FP7 project "GOLDFISH" (Underwater wireless sensor networks research ) Research Internship (2012-2013)
- Lund University's Strategic Center for High-Speed Wireless Communications Summer Research Internship (2010)
Sponsors and collaborators
- Lund University
- The University of Edinburgh
- University of Strathclyde
- UK - India Education & Research Initiative
- Innovate UK
- European Union: Marie Curie - Innovative Training Network (ITN)
- European Commission: Seventh Framework Programme (FP7)
- Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS)
- NEC Telecom MODUS, Ltd.
A) Contributions to Books
1) Zeinali, M., Barenji, R.V. (2023). Communication Networks Characteristics Impact on Cyber-Physical Systems. In: Azizi, A. (eds) Control Engineering in Mechatronics. Emerging Trends in Mechatronics. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-16-7775-5_6
2) M. Angjelichinoski, M. Cosovic, C. Kalalas, R. Lliuyacc, M. Zeinali, J. Alonso-Zarate, J. M. Mauricio, P. Popovski, C. Stefanovic, J. Thompson, et al., “Overview of research in the advantage project,” in Smarter Energy, Institution of Engineering and Technology, 2016
B) REFEREED JOURNAL PAPERS
1) Mehdi Zeinali; John Thompson. 2021. "Comprehensive practical evaluation of wired and wireless internet base smart grid communication." IET Smart Grid , no. : 1.
2)Mehdi Zeinali; John S. Thompson. 2021. "Impact of Compression and Small Cell Deployment on NB-IoT Devices Coverage and Energy Consumption with a Realistic Simulation Model." Sensors 21, no. 19: 6534.
C) REFEREED CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS
1) J. B. Anderson and M. Zeinali, “Best rate 1/2 convolutional codes for turbo equalization with severe isi,” in 2012 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory Proceedings, pp. 2366–2370, IEEE, 2012
2) M. Zeinali and J. S. Thompson, “Impact of compression and aggregation in wireless networks on smart meter data,” in 2016 IEEE 17th International Workshop on Signal Processing Advances in Wireless Communications (SPAWC), pp. 1–5, IEEE, 2016
3) M. Zeinali, J. Thompson, C. Khirallah, and N. Gupta, “Evolution of home energy management and smart metering communications towards 5g,” in 2017 8th International Conference on the Network of the Future (NOF), pp. 85–90, IEEE, 2017
4) M. Zeinali and J. Thompson, “Practical evaluation of uk internet network characteristics for demand-side response applications,” in IEEE International Conference on Communications, Control, and Computing Technologies for Smart Grids 2018, 2018
5) J. B. Anderson and M. Zeinali, “Analysis of best high rate convolutional codes for faster than Nyquist turbo equalization,” in 2014 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory, pp. 1987–1991, IEEE, 2014
6 M. Zeinali and J. S. Thompson, “Implementation of highly accurate test-bed for practical evaluation of wired and wireless internet-based smart grid communications,” in The 4th International Conference on UK-China Emerging Technologies, 10.1109/UCET.2019.8881858, 2019
7) G. Yuanda, Z. Mehdi, and et al., “Development of a hardware-in-the-loop co-simulation platform for smart distribution networks,” in the international conference on ecological vehicle and renewable energy (EVER 2020).
8) M. Z. E.Rahimpour, “Different methods of elimination or mitigation of transformer inrush current,” in Iranian Conference on Electrical Engineering (ICEE 13th), vol. 4, pp. pp–510, 2005
9) M. Zeinali, “Design and fabrication of patch antenna for Bluetooth applications,” in 15th Iranian Student Conference on Electrical Engineering (ISCEE 2012), 2012
10) M. Zeinali, I. S. Bayram and J. Thompson, "Performance Assessment of UK's Cellular Network for Vehicle to Grid Energy Trading: Opportunities for 5G and Beyond," 2020 IEEE International Conference on Communications Workshops (ICC Workshops), 2020, pp. 1-6, doi: 10.1109/ICCWorkshops49005.2020.9145107.
Technical Reports and Preprints
1) Mehdi Zeinali, M.R. Khosravi, "Using the Internet of Things to monitor and control the telecommunications cabinet", Tech. Report, Innovate UK, April 2023
2) M. Zeinali and J. Thompson, “Feasibility study: Review applicable communications protocols and standards for Quickturn Project,” tech. rep., Department for Business, Energy Industrial Strategy (BEIS), November 2017
3) M. Zeinali and J. Thompson, “Implementation Of an accurate test-bed for studying wired and wireless Internet-based communication for DSR application (WP3 Deliverable- Milestone 8.1),” tech. rep., Department for Business, Energy Industrial Strategy (BEIS), June 20194
4) M. Zeinali and J. Thompson, “Analysis of collected data from test-bed for communications reliability (WP3 Deliverable- Milestone 8.2),” tech. rep., Department for Business, Energy Industrial Strategy (BEIS), February 2020.
5) M. Z. Shrestha and J. Thompson, “Fp7-people-2013-itn 607774,” 2017
6) M. Zeinali, “Pcb layout rules,” tech. rep., Comprehensive Technical Report to R&D Department of SAGHIF ENGINEERING CO., Tehran, February 2008. Preparing for Submission
Course(s) I teach on