Principal Lecturer in Environmental Biology and module leader for Sustainable Resource Management and the MRes Practical Resource module. As well as responsibilities as Managing Director of the University spin-out company Loreus Ltd, Dr Redfern is also Director of EcoCampus and a member of the National Steering Group.
Externally funded projects recently completed or currently on-going include:
- Higher Education Funding Council England LGMF EcoCampus 2006-2008 - £190,000
- semantic neural network training system development 2007–2009 - £145,000
- BEST Network total project budget of £3,055,000, 2004–2007
- ERDF 2000–2006 Facilitating Environmentally Sustainable Enterprise Through Innovation and Technology Transfer, 2002–2005
- waste management project sponsored by Waste Recycling Environmental (WREN) - £40,000.00
- ERDF funding for Facilitating the uptake of Innovation and New Technologies by SMEs - £364,00.00
- SME Environmental Support Project - £208,000.
Opportunities to carry out postgraduate research towards an MRes exist in all the areas identified above and in associated interdisciplinary areas.
- Director of studies for MRes (Erold Naomab) investigating carbon footprinting and resource efficiency measures
- environmental management research and consultancy.
Dr Redfern has extensive experience in environmental assessment and environmental management systems. He is Managing Director of Loreus Limited and a Principal Lecturer in Environmental Science at Nottingham Trent University. His key skills and experience are as follows:
- extensive experience and knowledge of environmental management
- extensive experience in the design and implementation of ‘environmental’ software solutions in particular communication systems, environmental management systems software solutions and learning systems
- considerable business experience
- membership of the Institute of Directors
- extensive environmental management consultancy and project management expertise, acting as technical director for over 45 projects
- experience in developing carbon management strategies for large corporates
- extensive environmental consultancy experience with a wide range of public and private sector organisations e.g., HEFCE, EMDA, ENCAMS, Capital One, Northern Foods and Experian
- passed the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) Environmental Management Systems Advanced Auditor Training Course.
- representative on the Nottingham Health and Environment Partnership
- member of the United Nations Regional Centre for Expertise in ESD
- founder and Director of the BEST network 2001-2007
- EU 6th Framework Strep ENACT (contract number LSH-2002-2 503306), led by Professor R C Rees, 2005-2008, total value €4.23 million.
- Director EcoCampus
- Managing Director of the spin out company Loreus Ltd
- lead auditor for HE sector led Environmental Management System (EMS) certification scheme
- EMDA funded Research and Development contract on the development of a semantic neural network training system 2007–2009
- regional (emda funded 2008) BS 8555 implementation project hosted in conjunction with Capital One, Experian and others; working with 20 East Midlands businesses
- an extensive range of professional activity with over forty reports concerned primarily with assessing Environmental Impacts and the implementation of EMS solutions for clients such as Experian, ENCAMS, Capital One, ENMA and Northern Foods.