Shelagh’s current role at Nottingham Trent University as a Senior Lecturer is to provide academic, and pastoral, individual and group mentoring to enhance the personal and professional development, and employability of undergraduate students studying BA (Hons) Business Management and Marketing within the Nottingham Business School.
2017 – to date. Nottingham Trent University: Senior Lecturer providing academic, and pastoral, mentoring to enhance the personal and professional development, and employability of undergraduate students studying BA (Hons) Business Management and Marketing within the Nottingham Business School.
Main areas of career
- 2002 to date Senior Lecturer MA Art Therapy and MA Dramatherapy: University of Derby
- 1997 to date Nottingham Art Therapy at Heartening: Private Practitioner, Clinical Supervisor, Consultant in Art Psychotherapy, Research.
- 1995 – 2012 Lead Art Psychotherapist in Specialist CAMHS: Derbyshire NHS Foundation Trust/Nottinghamshire Mental Healthcare Services Trust (outpatient and inpatient Adolescent Unit). Strategic lead, clinical practice, clinical supervisor, trainer/educator within voluntary and statutory services, consultation to schools and social services, placement manager/supervisor, inter-agency liaison/consultation, business co-ordinator, case allocation co-ordinator.
- 2011 Sessional Lecturer. Nottingham Trent University BA (Hons) Human Services
- 1989 – 1990 Deputy Visual Identity Manager. Corporate department, Nottingham Trent University. Management, planning, development implementation of new corporate identity for Nottingham Trent University, photography director, marketing, graphic design of marketing material, promotional exhibitions, contracting printers, advising/liaising with senior team.
- 1988 – 1989 Graphic Design Studio Manager. The Nottingham Group. Management of team and production, planning/strategy with higher management, contracting printers, mentoring and appraisal.
- 1985 – 1988 Graphic Designer. Trent Polytechnic. Department of Marketing and Information. Design and production of university promotional material.
- 1981 Midland Bank plc. Customer advisor.
- Art Therapy
- Art Psychotherapy
- Birth Trauma
- Arts-Based research methodologies
- Senior Lecturer MA Art Therapy and MA Dramatherapy University of Derby
- Private Practitioner
- Clinical Supervisor
- Core member of BAAT Special Interest Group in Private, Independent and Sessional Practice SIPP-SIG
- Core member of BAAT Special Interest Group in Art Therapy with Children, Adolescents and Families ATCAF
- HCPC Registered Art Psychotherapist
- BAAT Registered Private Practitioner
- BAAT Registered Supervisor
- MBACP Registered Member (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy)
- Practicing Artist and Exhibitor
- Music Composer
Cornish, S. (2016) Article Review: Multicultural Family Art Therapy, Christine Kerr (ed) (2015). Journal of Applied Arts and Health 7(3): 413-415
Hogan, S. & Cornish, S. (2014) Unpacking gender in art therapy: the elephant at the art therapy easel: International Journal of Art Therapy: INSCAPE 19(3): 122-134
Hogan, S., Baker, C., Cornish, S. & McCloskey, P. (2014) Birth Shock: Exploring Pregnancy, Birth and the Transition to Motherhood Using Participatory Arts in Burton, N. (ed.) Your Birth & its Meaning: Representations of Pregnancy, Childbirth and Parenting
Cornish, S. (2103) Is There a Need to Define the Role of Art Therapy in Specialist CAMHS in England? Waving not Drowning: A Systematic Literature Review. ATOL: Art Therapy Online, 4 (1): 1-49